Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey disc utility very very very slow

Running disc utility, M1 pbp, 14. Computer had gotten very slow and buggy. 23 data snapshots. 30 minutes now and it’s only on #2!! My i7 was faster and less buggy. Any others experiencing this bad behavior?

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 8:36 AM

Hello Theodore Stacy,

For performance difficulties with your Mac, you'll want to take the additional steps from this resource: If your Mac runs slowly - Apple Support

Should that still persist, do you experience the same behaviors if you boot your Mac into safe mode using the steps below?

1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

You can also find those steps in this resource: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode. Your screen may flash or flicker while in safe mode. Those behaviors are expected. Testing in safe mode runs a check on your disk, removes some cached files, and can help isolate conflicts with startup items. Once you've tested that behavior in safe mode, you can restart to leave safe mode.

Let us know your results, and we'll keep moving forward from there.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2022 8:36 AM in response to Theodore Stacy

Hello Theodore Stacy,

For performance difficulties with your Mac, you'll want to take the additional steps from this resource: If your Mac runs slowly - Apple Support

Should that still persist, do you experience the same behaviors if you boot your Mac into safe mode using the steps below?

1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

You can also find those steps in this resource: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode. Your screen may flash or flicker while in safe mode. Those behaviors are expected. Testing in safe mode runs a check on your disk, removes some cached files, and can help isolate conflicts with startup items. Once you've tested that behavior in safe mode, you can restart to leave safe mode.

Let us know your results, and we'll keep moving forward from there.

Sep 15, 2022 8:56 AM in response to chuckbl

I had figured that out using YouTube. Did reboot and did run DU in safe mode. Also, Deleted Microsoft Drive. Had similar issue with Google Drive. Both apparently hog memory and bandwidth. Performance is not stellar, but is better. Think I'll delete MS 365 and just use word and excel. All these cloud-based services that constantly refresh are just making it more difficult to just get work done. I'm dumping all but essential could services.

Monterey disc utility very very very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.