You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to hide synced photos on iOS 16

I just updated to iOS 16 (from 15.6.1) on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. All the photos that were in my hidden folder are now not hidden and it is apparently not possible to hide them anymore.

I sync photos from my PC to use as wallpapers. I would rather they didn't show up in the normal albums and library view so I hide them. I use a Siri shortcut to pull images at random from those hidden photos.

It appears that with the iOS 16 update I can no longer hide photos that have been synced to the phone from iTunes-only photos in the Recents album.

I even tried deleting them all and resyncing from iTunes but they still can't be hidden.

Am I missing something? Why would the capability be taken away?

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 6:13 AM

This is indeed something missing from update to IOS 16. It is a annoying to have to organize all the hidden photos again.

For me, I do this workaround for the time being (I hope Apple will fix it soon). It's a bit complicated but it works for me.

1. Sync your photo (I put my hidden photos in one album).
  2. On your IPhone, select those photos and duplicate them.
  3. This duplicated photos will created into your recent album. In this way you can hide them.
  4. Then remove/move the hidden folder/album from your PC.
  5. After that sync it again with your Iphone.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 29, 2022 6:13 AM in response to AndrewMcDonald

This is indeed something missing from update to IOS 16. It is a annoying to have to organize all the hidden photos again.

For me, I do this workaround for the time being (I hope Apple will fix it soon). It's a bit complicated but it works for me.

1. Sync your photo (I put my hidden photos in one album).
  2. On your IPhone, select those photos and duplicate them.
  3. This duplicated photos will created into your recent album. In this way you can hide them.
  4. Then remove/move the hidden folder/album from your PC.
  5. After that sync it again with your Iphone.

Unable to hide synced photos on iOS 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.