Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update to iOS 16 using iTunes

I have an iPhone X on iOS 14.5 and I've been trying to update to iOS 16 through my PC's iTunes program (as I always do, so I don't have to clear out as much space from my phone), but every time I click the "Update" button, it clicks, but nothing happens. I've clicked and waited multiple times for the download of the new version to start as it usually does, but nothing happens. I should have the latest version of iTunes, and it doesn't even give me an error or message or anything, just nothing happens. I've never experienced this before, and I update this way every single time.

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 1:04 PM

It may be necessary to update iTunes to the new version (iTunes 12.12.5.8) that was released today, 13th September. See the comment from a very knowledgeable user, tt2, in this post; Do I need to update my older version of i… - Apple Community.

I think the link in his post is to 12.12.4.1, not the new version.

However, note that you may not yet be able to get the new version; I've just tried but iTunes informs me that 12.12.4.1 is the current version. If you encounter this, try again tomorrow. Even though iTunes 12.12.5.8 is officially available, and "adds support for new devices", it may take a day or two before you can download it. This is likely to be in order to prevent the server being overloaded.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2022 1:04 PM in response to pakipower786

It may be necessary to update iTunes to the new version (iTunes 12.12.5.8) that was released today, 13th September. See the comment from a very knowledgeable user, tt2, in this post; Do I need to update my older version of i… - Apple Community.

I think the link in his post is to 12.12.4.1, not the new version.

However, note that you may not yet be able to get the new version; I've just tried but iTunes informs me that 12.12.4.1 is the current version. If you encounter this, try again tomorrow. Even though iTunes 12.12.5.8 is officially available, and "adds support for new devices", it may take a day or two before you can download it. This is likely to be in order to prevent the server being overloaded.

Sep 13, 2022 1:11 PM in response to the fiend

Hi,

Those to links resolve to:

https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itunes12/012-67782-20220909-091C2557-7D04-4926-AD36-CE1EC201A92D/iTunes64Setup.exe

https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itunes12/012-67784-20220909-258DB4D7-2141-4853-BAE8-1C21EECA32EE/iTunesSetup.exe

respectively (at least for me), indicating build dates of 2022-09-09, and when downloaded show a file version of 12.12.5.8.

Apple Software Update doesn't necessarily fetch the newest versions immediately. Presumably Apple have some way of spreading out the load.

tt2

Sep 14, 2022 6:06 AM in response to pakipower786

The two different versions store backup data in slightly different places and I don't think one knows about the other, so it might be best to stick to the current version unless you're really keen to update. Assuming your device is behaving normally now you could swap and then immediately backup again before tying to upgrade iOS. FWIW I recommend having backups in both iTunes & iCloud in case one doesn't want to restore when the time actually comes.

tt2

Sep 16, 2022 12:55 AM in response to pakipower786

pakipower786 wrote:

Should I uninstall and reinstall or should I just wait for Apple to push out the new version themselves?

Just so that you know, I am currently downloading iTunes 12.12.5 this morning.

So although the update was released on 13th September, it has taken until the 16th before I could download it here in the UK.

(Download complete, I now have to restart my computer in order for the install to be fully implemented.)

Sep 16, 2022 5:42 AM in response to the fiend

I too was able to download the newest version of iOS today. Not sure if I was able to do it sooner because I just found out I was supposed to get the update from Microsoft Store, where I initially downloaded the program from.

It didn't tell me to restart the computer, so I assume I'm all set, because I just tried to download iOS 16 again and it seems to be working now.

Thanks for all of your help!

Can't update to iOS 16 using iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.