Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS 12.6 upgrade. Now getting Preferences Error: There was an error in User & Groups preferences

I noticed after the update when the sign-in window appeared that my two account graphics were no longer correct. I was able to sign in and most things seem to work just fine. However, if I go in to User and Groups preferences I get the above error. I had hoped to go in to change my login picture.

I've done some looking and run First Aid against the drive but haven't found a solution yet. I believe I can do a non-destructive install and see if that might reset the permissions. Other thoughts?

Thanks,

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 7:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 8:47 PM

MacOS non destructive reinstall did not fix the problem. Instead of a destructive install plus migration assistant from the backup I decided to give the Ventura beta a try. Worst case, it didn't work and I go back to 12.6 and MA to get things working. Well, things are back to normal on the beta. Sign-on picture is back and Users and Groups is available.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2022 8:47 PM in response to EricVN

MacOS non destructive reinstall did not fix the problem. Instead of a destructive install plus migration assistant from the backup I decided to give the Ventura beta a try. Worst case, it didn't work and I go back to 12.6 and MA to get things working. Well, things are back to normal on the beta. Sign-on picture is back and Users and Groups is available.

MacOS 12.6 upgrade. Now getting Preferences Error: There was an error in User & Groups preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.