Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to use voice commands to have highlighted text read back to me?

Is there a way to use voice commands to have highlighted text read back to me? When editing long works I like to highlight text, one paragraph at a time, and listen back to it for errors.

With Dragon Naturally Speaking on Windows I just highlight text and say, "Read That."

MacBook Air, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 6:11 PM

Hello DonLTurner,

It sounds as though you're looking to highlight details from documents as you work and would like to have all of them read back at a later time. Do we have that right? If so, this doesn't appear to be a standard feature for your Mac. Here's what we were able to find that's available and similar to what you're looking for.

Have your Mac speak text that’s on the screen - Apple Support

You may also be able to create a shortcut or automation that will perform this way; however those generally need to be created by yourself with a your specific task in mind.

Create a custom shortcut on Mac - Apple Support.

Automator User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Best regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2022 6:11 PM in response to DonLTurner

Hello DonLTurner,

It sounds as though you're looking to highlight details from documents as you work and would like to have all of them read back at a later time. Do we have that right? If so, this doesn't appear to be a standard feature for your Mac. Here's what we were able to find that's available and similar to what you're looking for.

Have your Mac speak text that’s on the screen - Apple Support

You may also be able to create a shortcut or automation that will perform this way; however those generally need to be created by yourself with a your specific task in mind.

Create a custom shortcut on Mac - Apple Support.

Automator User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Best regards.

Sep 16, 2022 9:49 AM in response to Missy5937

Hello Missy.

The Option/Esc keyboard short cut will work just fine; not as clean as a spoken command, but so much better than right clicking, selecting Speech, then selecting Start Speaking. I can select the words I want spoken with the mouse in my right hand and use the keyboard shortcut to have the words read back with my left hand; much faster, and not annoying when done repetitively.

I recently moved from Windows to Mac after thirty years with PCs. Lots yet learn.

Thank you.

Don

Is there a way to use voice commands to have highlighted text read back to me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.