Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 16 Siri Responses: Less Capable?

Has anyone else noticed that there is no option on IOS 16 to have Siri carry out commands without acknowledgment? For example using Home, ask Siri "Turn on the lights" expecting the action to happen without Siri saying "Done!"

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 6:35 AM

faith 185,

With respect, neither of the settings you point out are a solution to silencing Siri's responses.

Prior to iOS 16 one used to be able to keep Siri from responding aloud through the iPhone speaker by setting the “Hands-Free Only” option in Siri’s preferences. That setting is not present in iOS 16 … the only options are “Automatically” or “Prefer Spoken Responses", neither of which (frustratingly) hush Siri up. Even when the phone is held up to my ear the "on-device intelligence" didn't discern that I prefer not to have my eardrums blasted by the spoken responses.

(SIGH) Another useful setting removed for no (apparent) reason.

BUT, although one cannot mute Siri completely one can make Siri speak so softly as to be practically inaudible.

The trick is to have Siri look up something lengthy (“Siri, what is the Gettysburg address?”) and then have Siri read the entry it returns. WHILE SIRI IS SPEAKING lower the volume using the button on the left side until it is as low as it can go. Now Siri speaks so softly you can’t really hear it.

Other sound levels for the device ... ringer, music playback, and so on ... should be unaffected.

This is NOT a solution but the workaround is better than nothing.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 6:35 AM in response to faith185

faith 185,

With respect, neither of the settings you point out are a solution to silencing Siri's responses.

Prior to iOS 16 one used to be able to keep Siri from responding aloud through the iPhone speaker by setting the “Hands-Free Only” option in Siri’s preferences. That setting is not present in iOS 16 … the only options are “Automatically” or “Prefer Spoken Responses", neither of which (frustratingly) hush Siri up. Even when the phone is held up to my ear the "on-device intelligence" didn't discern that I prefer not to have my eardrums blasted by the spoken responses.

BUT, although one cannot mute Siri completely one can make Siri speak so softly as to be practically inaudible.

The trick is to have Siri look up something lengthy (“Siri, what is the Gettysburg address?”) and then have Siri read the entry it returns. WHILE SIRI IS SPEAKING lower the volume using the button on the left side until it is as low as it can go. Now Siri speaks so softly you can’t really hear it.

Other sound levels for the device ... ringer, music playback, and so on ... should be unaffected.

Sep 16, 2022 9:34 AM in response to Legacy_iMovie

Hi Legacy_iMovie,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. You can enable spoken responses from Settings > Siri & Search > Siri Responses. The two settings there are Automatic, which means that Siri will use on-device intelligence to determine when to speak, and Prefer Spoken Responses where Siri will speak when possible. This and other settings are mentioned in Change Siri settings on iPhone - Apple Support. We hope that helps.

Have a great day!

Sep 21, 2022 6:43 AM in response to ericsiegel01

ericsiegel01 wrote:

faith 185,

You can let Apple know your thoughts on the matter here:

Product Feedback - Apple

The more people who request something, the more likely it is to make it onto Apple's radar.

IOS 16 Siri Responses: Less Capable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.