Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to logon to Macbook Pro 13, 2017 with Admin account

Ok, so just to be clear this is 100% my Macbook and I bought it direct from Apple I have a geunine receipt to prove this. ( Not that I have to justify my self but I can see how others may think this a strange question to ask, when in fact it's not really as in Windows user profiles often become currupted).

So I have a Macbook Pro 13, 2017 and have being using for about 3 years now. Anyway the battery was nearing the end of it's life. Confirmed by Apple and by Coconcunt Battery App.

As I used to do PC repairs I decided to try to replace the battery my self as didn't want to pay Apple the best past of £200. Anyway after about a month of trying and sending various batteries back to Ebay..because of poor quality I finally found one off Amazon that worked and was good quality.

The problem being is that for some reason I can knowlonger log onto my main user account which has admin rights. I have another account which has standard access which I can logon to fine with.

It keeps telling me that my Apple ID passsowrd or username is wrong.

I can verifiy 100% it is not wrong, and this is how:

I have bought another Macbook using the same Apple ID and the same password and confirm it works.

When I tried to do a password recovery on the Macbook it sends my mobile number a 2FA code which allows me to change the password. This password works on my new Macbook but still won't let me logon to the old Macbooks admin profile.

I even thought it might be the keyboard but it is set to UK.

I typed in the password via the standard account into TextPad as a sanity check.

I used an external keyboard to type the known working password.

This to me would suggest the admin profile is currutped I realise this could be seen as a secuirity issue but how can I get around this as like I said I have the invoice that I bought this Macbook from Apple directly.

Cheers

Paul

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 1:16 PM

Is Filevault enabled? If so, then after logging into the standard user account, log out and try logging into the admin account. Sometimes the Filevault password and user account password can get separated (may happen when changing the account password -- usually the old password can be used to unlock Filevault at the first login screen and using the new password at teh second login screen). If this separation has happened, then it is possible to recombine the Filevault password to the admin user account.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode which disables login items as well as third party software from launching automatically at boot?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2022 1:16 PM in response to psheraton

Is Filevault enabled? If so, then after logging into the standard user account, log out and try logging into the admin account. Sometimes the Filevault password and user account password can get separated (may happen when changing the account password -- usually the old password can be used to unlock Filevault at the first login screen and using the new password at teh second login screen). If this separation has happened, then it is possible to recombine the Filevault password to the admin user account.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode which disables login items as well as third party software from launching automatically at boot?

Sep 14, 2022 5:07 AM in response to psheraton

psheraton wrote:

Ok, so just to be clear this is 100% my Macbook and I bought it direct from Apple I have a geunine receipt to prove this. ( Not that I have to justify my self but I can see how others may think this a strange question to ask, when in fact it's not really as in Windows user profiles often become currupted).

So I have a Macbook Pro 13, 2017 and have being using for about 3 years now. Anyway the battery was nearing the end of it's life. Confirmed by Apple and by Coconcunt Battery App.

As I used to do PC repairs I decided to try to replace the battery my self as didn't want to pay Apple the best past of £200. Anyway after about a month of trying and sending various batteries back to Ebay..because of poor quality I finally found one off Amazon that worked and was good quality.

The problem being is that for some reason I can knowlonger log onto my main user account which has admin rights. I have another account which has standard access which I can logon to fine with.

It keeps telling me that my Apple ID passsowrd or username is wrong.
I can verifiy 100% it is not wrong, and this is how:
I have bought another Macbook using the same Apple ID and the same password and confirm it works.
When I tried to do a password recovery on the Macbook it sends my mobile number a 2FA code which allows me to change the password. This password works on my new Macbook but still won't let me logon to the old Macbooks admin profile.
I even thought it might be the keyboard but it is set to UK.
I typed in the password via the standard account into TextPad as a sanity check.
I used an external keyboard to type the known working password.

This to me would suggest the admin profile is currutped I realise this could be seen as a secuirity issue but how can I get around this as like I said I have the invoice that I bought this Macbook from Apple directly.

Cheers
Paul

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Sep 15, 2022 11:10 AM in response to HWTech

@HWTech, I was able to re-start the device and go into safe mode, from their I was able to select the password doesn't work. It then allowed me to enter my FileVault password and then change the password. I can now logon to the Macbook so thanks alot.

The next issue I am having is that I seem to havea called the both the old and the new Macbook the same name. Which I think is confusing Apple ID. But I will try to fix this

Unable to logon to Macbook Pro 13, 2017 with Admin account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.