Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Workouts Not Counting Towards Exercise Ring on Apple Watch

This has happened on multiple occasions. I go on a bike ride or walk, and I use the workout app to record my exercise. Yet despite the workout being recorded, it doesn’t count properly to my exercise.

My iPhone and Watch are updated, and location tracking is on. I just went on an 65 minute bike ride, but my exercise ring says I only worked out 21 minutes today.

This has happened most often with bike rides, but it has happened with walks too. It’s very frustrating, as I find closing rings to be motivating for me, but this error happens about once every 5-6 sessions.

I’ve tried the workaround to use a “free goal” workout, and that works. But it doesn’t record my biking/walking workout accurately.

Is there any solution to this?

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 3:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply
2 replies

Sep 14, 2022 7:24 PM in response to KFallsOver

This has just started happening to me too after the WatchOS 9 update. Something changed in the algorithm or something, because the workouts I do used to be counted, and now they count for a fraction of what they should. I'll bet that Apple doesn't care, or they wouldn't have made this change. The last couple OSes would immediately pause any activity I started in the activity app, so my compromise was just to do the workouts, and the watch would register everything anyway. No longer.

This will most definitely be the last Apple watch I ever buy. Nothing but problems with (what I consider to be) the basic functionality of the watch. I'm sure there are better options out there these days.

Workouts Not Counting Towards Exercise Ring on Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.