Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reasking the question about "USB Accessories Disabled."

My MacBook Air (13-in, 2017) has a message "USB Accessories Disabled. Unplug the accessory using too power to re-enable USB devices" yet there is nothing plugged in. I reset my SMC, but this doesn't fix it. I only have one working USB port, so switching doesn't help. I can use my Macbook, but the message is really annoying. Help! Thanks.

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 5:34 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 17, 2022 4:28 PM in response to Milasmom

Hello Milasmom,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about a USB drawing too much power alert.

1 . First, ensure you are upgraded to the latest macOS macOS Monterey 12.6: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

2 . Then ensure you complete the SMC reset once more: Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

3 . If you still have issues, please help us understand the situation.

• You mention nothing is plugged in, but then mention you only have one so switching isn't possible? So is nothing plugged in at all when this alert comes up?

• Or is it only occurring when you plug in the charger or some USB drive, external drive, or other display or accessory?

Let us know, thanks.

Sep 20, 2022 5:42 AM in response to Eric--F

Hi Eric-F,

I had been doing everything else, but installing the upgrade seems to have fixed it. I'm hoping the upgrade also helps with some other issues I've had, such as overheating for no reason (I've memorized the SMC reset process :)

Just as an FYI, the USB issue first would happen when I plugged in a USB-lightning cord to charge my iPhone 11. After a while, It moved on to appearing and wouldn't close even if nothing was plugged into it. I currently have only one operating USB port - I intend to replace it but now just work with the one.

Thanks for the help! Deborah

Reasking the question about "USB Accessories Disabled."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.