Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don’t want family organizer to pay for my purchases

How can I join a family group sharing and not have the organizer be billed for my purchases?

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 8:03 PM

Redeem gift cards or add funds to your Apple ID. Your purchases will be charged from that first, instead of charging the family organizer.

Link-> How to redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes gift card - Apple Support

Link-> Add money to your Apple Account balance - Apple Support

3 replies

Sep 15, 2022 10:57 AM in response to dbyada

From: How to share purchases with your family - How to share purchases with your family - Apple Support

"When you turn on purchase sharing, everyone in your family gets access to apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books that family members buy. The family organizer is billed for family members' purchases."

The second sentence is incomplete because others can still pay for their own items, they just have to use personal account balance to do so (see the tiny footnote near the bottom of the page). Turning on purchase sharing simply activates the feature whereby if a family member does not have adequate personal balance to pay for something then the organizer's payment method (e.g., credit card) will be charged.

Read the document for the link to "learn how purchases are billed if a family member has Apple ID balance". This tells you how it works.

The payment method for Family Sharing is automatic:

1. If anybody in the family buys or subscribes to something, Apple first attempts to charge the item to that individual's Apple Account (Apple ID) balance, if any.

2. If a family member does not have enough personal Apple Account balance, any excess will be charged to the Family Organizer's primary payment method (usually a card of some kind). The Organizer's personal balance will not be used for purchases made by other family members. If it cannot bill the primary payment method, the Organizer will need to make another payment method the primary method.

- "Some purchases, including gifts, can't be billed to Apple ID balance and will be charged to the family organizer's payment method." "Some subscriptions might not be charged to Apple ID balance."

Ref:

- Family purchases and payments - How to share purchases with your family - Apple Support

- How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - Apple Support

- Check your Apple ID balance - Check your Apple Account balance - Apple Support

- Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods - Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods - Apple Support

I don’t want family organizer to pay for my purchases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.