Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is preventing iOS from automatically detecting and tracking biking / cycling activity?

iOS 16 added Fitness app and activity which makes sense and was overdue. iOS long did a great job tracking and showing steps in health activity.

But even in 2022 iOS is unable to automatically detect and track cycling activity and I am really wondering why that is. The moving speed on a bike should be trivial to distinguish from walking or driving with car or public transport.

Apparently a third-party app is needed to track cycling activity. This is surprising and since users are then at the mercy of some third-party app maker TOS and have to trust, their data is secure. I would much prefer Apple Health being able to track cycling activity.

What is keeping Apple from allowing users to track cycling with Apple Health onboard software?

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 1:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 3:05 AM

The Apple Health app is only collecting data from various soft- of hardware sources.

One reason you will need at least an app or hardware like a Smart Watch or bike computer to provide the data for the Health app.

Even my Apple Watch 5 does not detect cycling automatically, without me starting a training before.

Maybe it's time to let Apple know directly about your wishes and thoughts on that, by using the Feedback link.

Product Feedback - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2022 3:05 AM in response to AutoZuLaut

The Apple Health app is only collecting data from various soft- of hardware sources.

One reason you will need at least an app or hardware like a Smart Watch or bike computer to provide the data for the Health app.

Even my Apple Watch 5 does not detect cycling automatically, without me starting a training before.

Maybe it's time to let Apple know directly about your wishes and thoughts on that, by using the Feedback link.

Product Feedback - Apple

What is preventing iOS from automatically detecting and tracking biking / cycling activity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.