Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import Photo - Missing Title

When I import a photo into Apple Photos, the caption and keywords are imported correctly, but not the title!

I use the (IPTC: ObjectName)-Metadata for that, because Apple Photos uses also that metadata when exporting a photo.

Is there a bug in Apple Photos - Apple Fotos: Version 7.0 (460.0.120)?

In the following picture you see that I want to export from Lightroom, check the photo in Previewer/PathFinder if the metadata are correct,

and import this photo into Apple Photos: the 'Title' is empty.

There is similar link without a solution: Import "title" field into Apple Photos - Apple Community

What to do? Thanks.

iMac

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 3:52 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 15, 2022 8:09 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Thank you for your tipp.

I made following with exiftool:

Extract the metadata with exiftool -a -G1 -s image.jpg > image_metadata.txt:

* 01_ImportToAppleFoto_metadata.txt => that's the one from LR to import into AppleFoto

* the title is missing in AppleFoto!

* 02_ExportFromAppleFoto_metadata.txt => just export the imported file from AppleFoto

* differences:

** no differences at the specific metadata properties

** [IPTC]ObjectName: IPTC_Titel_bbee

** [IPTC]Caption-Abstract: Bildunterschrift_bbee

* change now the photo title and caption in Apple Photos - to find out which metadata property is used:

** title: Add_Title_in_AppleFoto

** caption: Bildunterschrift_bbee_changedInAppleFoto

* 03_ExportFromAppleFotoAfterChangeInAppleFoto_metadata.txt

* differences:

** [IPTC]ObjectName: Add_Title_in_AppleFoto <== is now as changed in Apple Photos

** [IPTC]Caption-Abstract: Bildunterschrift_bbee <== was NOT UPDATED and the changed caption is not exported in other property

Questions:

* Why is Apple Photos not import '[IPTC]ObjectName' when it uses that also for export?

* Why is Apple Photos not export Caption-Abstract?

Sep 15, 2022 8:23 AM in response to Hombianer

hmm ... I did not quite follow your workflow ...

but did you update the actual image files and then re-imported them to Photos?

i.e. update the desired IPTC/XMP metadata tags and then re-imported that to Photos?

to complicate the matter even more, Photos can export all its updated metadata in .jpg or as "original" with a sidecar .xmp that has then to joined to the .jpg.

Import Photo - Missing Title

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.