Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PAGES... Document management

Hi! How do I remove specific pages from a document in Pages? When I select the page I want to delete in the thumbnail view and hit "delete" it says I will lose my whole document. THANK YOU!

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 12:04 PM

THANK YOU for your response, picas! I appreciate it!

THIS IS A PROBLEM FOR ENGINEERING/DESIGN TO SOLVE.

You are right. After spending 2 hours with some great Apple helpers (one creative and one technical) we realized that the DEFAULT DOCUMENT BODY setting in Pages is designed to create a FIXED document... NOT a flexible layout document as was the case a few iterations of Pages ago.

So, months ago, I took off writing a lengthy document only to recently discover I can't move pages around.

After we finally figured out the format DESIGN FLAW (my words, not theirs), the Apple people investigating this (they were great) tried valiantly to figure out a way to manually move my written pages into lay-out mode, but it wouldn't let us. It transferred whole pages of text as small text boxes.

So now I have to RETYPE 60 PAGES in order to continue working with a document fit for editing down the line.

I can't understand why Apple made what I am calling a no-brainer basic design mistake! (Maybe there are some tiny instructions written somewhere that explains this and warns people about the default setting, but if so, I can't find them.)

The reason I am shouting in capitals (sorry) is because I hope an APPLE DESIGNER/ENGINEER might actually notice this and do something.

THERE ARE TWO POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS FOR THIS PROBLEM: 1) Make the DEFAULT Document Body a flexible program (as it was a while ago) so users can simply move thumbnails around, or at minimum 2) Give us a warning that we must CHOOSE to use either an immovable layout program or a flexible layout program in the format box.

It boggles my mind that APPLE DESIGNERS wouldn't make thumbnail movement a SIMPLE DEFAULT. It's an absolute necessity for creativity, especially now that iBooks Author is gone.

WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF THIS WOULD ACTUALLY CHANGE? I won't make the same mistake again, but I'm sure a lot of others will.

So, to THOSE OF YOU WHO WANT THUMBNAIL MOVEMENT IN YOUR DOCUMENT:  Before you start writing, UNCHECK "Document Body" in the format box and convert your document to a Layout document!! :-) You're welcome.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2022 12:04 PM in response to picas

THANK YOU for your response, picas! I appreciate it!

THIS IS A PROBLEM FOR ENGINEERING/DESIGN TO SOLVE.

You are right. After spending 2 hours with some great Apple helpers (one creative and one technical) we realized that the DEFAULT DOCUMENT BODY setting in Pages is designed to create a FIXED document... NOT a flexible layout document as was the case a few iterations of Pages ago.

So, months ago, I took off writing a lengthy document only to recently discover I can't move pages around.

After we finally figured out the format DESIGN FLAW (my words, not theirs), the Apple people investigating this (they were great) tried valiantly to figure out a way to manually move my written pages into lay-out mode, but it wouldn't let us. It transferred whole pages of text as small text boxes.

So now I have to RETYPE 60 PAGES in order to continue working with a document fit for editing down the line.

I can't understand why Apple made what I am calling a no-brainer basic design mistake! (Maybe there are some tiny instructions written somewhere that explains this and warns people about the default setting, but if so, I can't find them.)

The reason I am shouting in capitals (sorry) is because I hope an APPLE DESIGNER/ENGINEER might actually notice this and do something.

THERE ARE TWO POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS FOR THIS PROBLEM: 1) Make the DEFAULT Document Body a flexible program (as it was a while ago) so users can simply move thumbnails around, or at minimum 2) Give us a warning that we must CHOOSE to use either an immovable layout program or a flexible layout program in the format box.

It boggles my mind that APPLE DESIGNERS wouldn't make thumbnail movement a SIMPLE DEFAULT. It's an absolute necessity for creativity, especially now that iBooks Author is gone.

WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF THIS WOULD ACTUALLY CHANGE? I won't make the same mistake again, but I'm sure a lot of others will.

So, to THOSE OF YOU WHO WANT THUMBNAIL MOVEMENT IN YOUR DOCUMENT:  Before you start writing, UNCHECK "Document Body" in the format box and convert your document to a Layout document!! :-) You're welcome.

PAGES... Document management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.