You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac & macbook

So.... first time posting & I feel a bit out of my depth.... I have been an iphone user forever but always stuck to what I knew with laptops.

I was given an old imac that will not run anything higher than IOS10 but but has a lovely big screen & a 500GB hard drive that I am very loathe to just recycle! My daughter is about to upgrade her Macbook Air and has offered it to me, is it possible that I can conjoin the two and make a fabulous working macbook with a big screen and a massive backup hard drive? Is there any way with whatever cables and magical jiggery pokery to make this happen? It just breaks my heart to see such a capable piece of equipment thrown away!

Any advice gratefully received but please be kind !!

V

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 4:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 6:53 AM

veegeeay wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

You're welcome.

The mac is 2008 ! The air is old enough for Apple to offer to recycle but it is still young enough to have the latest IOS.

The MacBook Air would have to be from 2015 or later.

I was hoping to also utilise the hard drive in some way? Sort of as if you would plug in an external hard drive & external display on a Windows pc?

Not possible. It is possible to use an external display and external drive with the MacBook Air. However, an iMac is not that.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2022 6:53 AM in response to veegeeay

veegeeay wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

You're welcome.

The mac is 2008 ! The air is old enough for Apple to offer to recycle but it is still young enough to have the latest IOS.

The MacBook Air would have to be from 2015 or later.

I was hoping to also utilise the hard drive in some way? Sort of as if you would plug in an external hard drive & external display on a Windows pc?

Not possible. It is possible to use an external display and external drive with the MacBook Air. However, an iMac is not that.

imac & macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.