Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Use as system photo library' blanked out

My MacBook Pro is not accessing my iCloud Photos. Option on 'Use as system photo Library' is blanked out

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 11:21 AM

If it is still syncing with iCloud then this is (probably) why you are not seeing new photos showing up

A new mac with a large library (I asssume - you say photography is your hobby) will take a long time for the first sync. How big is your library? For example, my 5000 item 50GB library took 48 hours full time for a first sync.

During this time new photos on a phone will probably not transfer.

Leave the mac on 24/7 connected to power until the sync is complete.

Note - even though your library is synced with iCloud, it will be syncing to a local copy of the library, stored (by default) in your pictures folder. If you open preferences it will tell you where this local library is:

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2022 11:21 AM in response to Lizamay30

If it is still syncing with iCloud then this is (probably) why you are not seeing new photos showing up

A new mac with a large library (I asssume - you say photography is your hobby) will take a long time for the first sync. How big is your library? For example, my 5000 item 50GB library took 48 hours full time for a first sync.

During this time new photos on a phone will probably not transfer.

Leave the mac on 24/7 connected to power until the sync is complete.

Note - even though your library is synced with iCloud, it will be syncing to a local copy of the library, stored (by default) in your pictures folder. If you open preferences it will tell you where this local library is:

Sep 16, 2022 10:16 AM in response to Lizamay30

If it is greyed out - that means the library is already your system library - so the problem is somewhere else.

Is iCloud enabled in the icloud preferences?

Is your mac account signed into the same apple ID as your iCloud account?

What does the sync status say at the bottom of the all photos view?

Where is your library stored? If on an external drive, what is the format?

How much free space is on your system drive (and the drive the library is stored on if different)?

Sep 16, 2022 10:39 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony, Thank you for helping. It is a new MacBook Pro and I'm still finding my way around. I think my expectation was that it would be the same as my iPad, & iPhone. I think I've just found my library, although I think I may have changed something while trying to sort is out.

Is iCloud enabled in the icloud preferences?

Yes

Is your mac account signed into the same apple ID as your iCloud account?

Yes, although as it is a shared MacBook, I do have a sign in password.

What does the sync status say at the bottom of the all photos view?

It is currently uploading, I presume to the iCloud.

Where is your library stored? If on an external drive, what is the format?

Its stored in the iCloud

How much free space is on your system drive (and the drive the library is stored on if different)?

Plenty of storage space both on MacBook and iCloud. My hobby is photography.

Can I ask you whether you know if it makes a difference what format the photographs are? Raw or JPeg

Thank you again.

Sep 17, 2022 2:15 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you Tony. Yes, I did leave it plugged in and it has now downloaded all of my photos, including the ones that I had imported to the Mac from my camera. The photos that I’ve edited on the Mac and added to a specific album though are not showing up in the same album on my iPad or phone. I had the Mac specifically because I wanted it for my photography and the resolution of the display. I can’t, however, then upload those photos to Social Media. I’ve tried drag and drop but that doesn’t appear to work. I think I solve one problem, to create two more! Thank you again.

'Use as system photo library' blanked out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.