Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to iOS 16, charging on hold due to iPhone temperature

after ios 16 update iphone charging stop everytime and my iphone is not even warm

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 12:18 PM

Hi Lindsay,

I'm experience the same issue but it only started once I upgraded to ios 16. This issue did not happen in any previous version. My iPhone is not in any different place or exposed to any different climate conditions than it had prior to the upgrade. I feel this user is having the same challenge. Is there anything known that may affect this?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2022 12:18 PM in response to Lindsay_B.

Hi Lindsay,

I'm experience the same issue but it only started once I upgraded to ios 16. This issue did not happen in any previous version. My iPhone is not in any different place or exposed to any different climate conditions than it had prior to the upgrade. I feel this user is having the same challenge. Is there anything known that may affect this?

Nov 18, 2022 12:46 AM in response to bassem2498

I have the same issue every time I charge my iPhone 14 pro max from below 40% when using the 20w charger. The Settings - Battery would show charging was on hold due to iPhone temperature.

However I think I might have found the root cause. It’s probably due to iCloud backup for the phone. I off it to test it out and while it’s a little bit warm, it didn’t show charging was on hold anymore.

Sep 20, 2022 10:57 AM in response to bassem2498

Hello there, bassem2498,

The notification you are receiving is expected to occur if the interior temperature of the iPhone exceeds what is considered a normal operating range. Since this notification is a response to the internal temperature of the device, it may display even if you are not perceiving any temperature change on the outside of the device.

Please review the additional information found in If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support. This Apple Support article will give additional details on what is considered normal operating temperatures, when you might expect your device's temperature to fall outside of those parameters, and what to do if it happens.

Best!

Nov 3, 2022 4:57 AM in response to Jajason

Hello Jajason - I'm having the same issue. According to Apple, there is no ability to report the internal temperature of the phone so this is a challenging issue to solve. Either way, this seems to have been caused by ios 16. Hopefully, Apple will be able to determine the root cause and provide an update as well as report on the internal temperature to validate the message.

Nov 4, 2022 1:37 AM in response to eternallyoptimistic666

Hi eternallyoptimistic,

I found out something new today. I use a third party 20w charger and a MFI certified cable to charge my iPhone today from 39% and while it’s a little bit warm with fast charge, it’s not as hot as the original iPad Pro 2021 20w charger.

Most importantly no charging was on hold message in the battery screen.

I am thinking whether the issue is the charger.

How’s your battery life? And battery health. All good?

Updated to iOS 16, charging on hold due to iPhone temperature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.