Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 14 wireless charging

Anyone else having issues with wireless charging iphone 14. My Qi charging pad works fine for my iphone 11, but iphone 14 will not charge. I tried without the case but that doesn’t work either

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 6:24 PM

Your new iPhone is MagSafe ready and the charging coil is in the exact middle of the phone. Older QI chargers often don't have the charging coils in an optimal position for a MagSafe capable iPhone. When I got iPhone 12, which was the first MagSafe iPhone, none of my old QI chargers worked reliably. I moved over to MagSafe charging and haven't looked back. It just works and has worked on my 12 Pro Max, then my 13 Pro Max and how my 14 Pro Max.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2022 6:24 PM in response to Pmobri

Your new iPhone is MagSafe ready and the charging coil is in the exact middle of the phone. Older QI chargers often don't have the charging coils in an optimal position for a MagSafe capable iPhone. When I got iPhone 12, which was the first MagSafe iPhone, none of my old QI chargers worked reliably. I moved over to MagSafe charging and haven't looked back. It just works and has worked on my 12 Pro Max, then my 13 Pro Max and how my 14 Pro Max.

Oct 27, 2022 10:42 AM in response to Pmobri

Iphone 14 pro wireless charging doesn't work as well as on previous iphones - the camera is too big so it means the back of the phone is lifted off the charge pad. Super annoying.

The charge coil is in the exact middle of the phone so in order to line it up in the right spot you have to place the camera on the charge pads and its not actually making contact.

It can't get continuous effective charge. Really poor design from Apple.

Oct 27, 2022 11:02 AM in response to lobsterghost1

And what am I supposed to do with the £280 worth of Wireless chargers that I bought last year, that were also exactly designed for my phone?

Getting really sick of the wasteful obscelecense culture at this company. Buy this new thing if you want to keep using your device. Headphones don't last two years, £6000 laptop barely splutters to 3 years. This isn't innovation, its gouging, poor planning and slightly thoughtless design.

Oct 27, 2022 10:46 AM in response to ButteryPaul

One thing you can expect is Apple is going to continue to innovate and with innovation comes change. This means some older methods of charging simply won't work as well as they once did on newer devices.

Maybe it's time to move over to MagSafe charging which is exactly designed for your phone and works better than ANY wireless charging method I've EVER used.

Oct 19, 2022 12:59 AM in response to Pmobri

I just experienced what lobsterghost1 describes. (Just received a new i14) I put it on a wireless charger I've used for a few years, the green charge indicator light comes on and makes the bell sound and I walk away. Checked it this morning and it is at the same percentage as the night before. Did the same thing again this morning which is what led me here.

As I was reading through the threads, however, I repositioned it a bit different than before or as with other phones, a bit further forward on the pad, and now it is charging just fine. Fingers crossed. Thanks, lobsterghost1.

Oct 27, 2022 11:20 AM in response to ButteryPaul

I gave all of mine to friends who had phones which would charge effectively on older chargers. You say poor planning? I don't agree. You can still plug your phone in to charge the old fashioned way. No one is stopping you from doing that. But if you want the most effective wireless charging on iPhone, MagSafe is the way to go. And since Apple created MagSafe for iPhone, it will move from generation to generation. I moved over and would never go back to traditional wireless charging stands. There's just too much inconsistency in them. If you want to blame poor design, blame the companies who built charging stands, most of whom put the charging coils in different locations on each stand sold by most of these companies.

Iphone 14 wireless charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.