Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new iphone model number identifier is unusual

My iphone 12 pro model is A2048 and number is 5GLL3ZA/A this is unusual because according to the iphone wiki 

“The first letter in the model number represents the source of the device. Currently, there are four known possible choices:

"F": refurbished unit

"M": retail unit

"N": replacement unit

"P": personalized (engraved) unit”

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Models

So it should start with letter from the previous list and not a number like my phone does

Does someone know an explanation for my unusual model number

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 4:27 AM

Yeah my device has purchase date of 1978 april 1 , when i called apple support they told me that means it means its sold as an As Is device with no coverage but it’s eligible for repairs and told me apple does this for some like devices sold as display units for stores

I didn’t know about the wiki page at the time though so I didn’t ask him to confirm what my model number means , i doubt they would answer that though

So i was thinking maybe apple doesn’t offer warranty for refurbished products at an apple approved facility

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2022 4:27 AM in response to stedman1

Yeah my device has purchase date of 1978 april 1 , when i called apple support they told me that means it means its sold as an As Is device with no coverage but it’s eligible for repairs and told me apple does this for some like devices sold as display units for stores

I didn’t know about the wiki page at the time though so I didn’t ask him to confirm what my model number means , i doubt they would answer that though

So i was thinking maybe apple doesn’t offer warranty for refurbished products at an apple approved facility

My new iphone model number identifier is unusual

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.