Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External WebKit Features

I came across this list when I got my iPhone 11 and a friend told me to turn off all these experimental features or my privacy might be compromised, so I believed what they told me and turned them all off. This was 2 yrs ago, and I can honestly say that this iPhone in my opinion has been the worst one I’ve ever owned! But I’m also wondering now if that friend really knew what he was talking about, or did turning all those experimental external WebKit features off wreak havoc on my phone? And if so, do I turn them all back on? Some of them were already turned off I did notice when I scrolled down turning every one off. Please can anyone tell me which ones to turn back on and which to leave off? My ph is upgraded to iOS 15.7 now but was a 14.0 when I turned them all off 2 yrs ago.

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 9:33 AM

Scroll down to the bottom of that list of experimental browser features, and select Reset All to Defaults.

The defaults should work fine.

If you’re working with a particular website that is having specific issues, then it might be appropriate to enable or disable one or two of the features.

As for security, here is what Apple recommends:

Personal Safety User Guide - Apple Support

(There’s a PDF here, if you want to read that offline.)

From that, the following plus clearing out any password issues found by Security Recommendations (Settings > Passwords > Security Recommendations) covers most of the security issues we might encounter:

See who has access to your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Re-using and weak passwords are doom, particularly if two-factor authentication is disabled. Safari experimental features, not so much,

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2022 9:33 AM in response to rosannaannarose

Scroll down to the bottom of that list of experimental browser features, and select Reset All to Defaults.

The defaults should work fine.

If you’re working with a particular website that is having specific issues, then it might be appropriate to enable or disable one or two of the features.

As for security, here is what Apple recommends:

Personal Safety User Guide - Apple Support

(There’s a PDF here, if you want to read that offline.)

From that, the following plus clearing out any password issues found by Security Recommendations (Settings > Passwords > Security Recommendations) covers most of the security issues we might encounter:

See who has access to your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Re-using and weak passwords are doom, particularly if two-factor authentication is disabled. Safari experimental features, not so much,

External WebKit Features

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.