Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Javascript Issue in Safari

Hello,

Im currently stumped and need some advice.

I seem to be having a problem in general with Java Script. Certain websites that use simple scripting to hide and show content when you click on a link don't work at all. Even the Slingbox website javascript that installs the plug-in doesn't work. This problem persists the same in Safari and in Firefox. I find this very odd because recently I did a clean install of 10.6 and reloaded my files using time machine (no Applications or System, just documents) running disk permission repairs along the way. Im running the latest java build for mac 10.6 update 2 and have even reinstalled to no success.

Im running Safari 5.0.1 (6533.17.8)

This same problem also happens on my Mac Pro quad 3.0 running 10.5.8.

I know these websites work and not bad code because I installed 2 iMac i7 Quad systems this week and they both execute all of these scripts/websites perfectly using Safari 5.0.1.

Any Suggestions?

Macbook Pro 2.92ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 3:46 PM

4 replies

Dec 15, 2010 8:21 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem however some clues popped up when I inspected the element. 3 errors are listed:

SyntaxError: Parse error
ReferenceError: Can't find variable: HideContent
ReferenceError: Can't find variable: HideContent

Inspecting them on the iMacs where the link works yields no errors.

Dec 15, 2010 8:21 AM in response to VividXL

Ok, after much experimentation and install/reinstall/time machine tests, the solution was rather convoluted and involved reinstalling Java for Mac OSX 10.6 update 2 using the iMac i7 quad booted up from my MacBook Pro as a target firewire drive. Normal reinstalls on my MacBook Pro of the java 10.6 update 2 did not fix the problem. All the other java specific things are working normally again.

Note, the problem with javascript did NOT show up on the java test page that is suposed to show java working properly such as http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
That page showed java working just fine when it was not.

The problem exhibited in simple scripting pages like the following:

http://www.rcn.com/boston/help/cable-tv/tivo-premiere
Where each of the blue links pop open to show content when clicked.

or if you've had any problem getting the Slingbox internet plugin to download. (uses javascript to install)

Not really sure whats going on or where the problem stems from (Note: Tried a clean 10.6 install from the not for resale snow leopard disk that came with my Macbook Pro and the javascript links didn't work there either, nor after the java 10.6 v2 update.)

Why I needed a 2nd machine to make this fix makes me think there's something not fully re-installing on other machines with the Java update.

Javascript Issue in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.