Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 12.6 upgrade does not allow shutdown.

My iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 does not shut down, without holding the power button.

If I perform a normal shut down, it reboots and gives me an error that seems to be a kernel panic related to Coriolis. I have removed everything that I can find related to iDefrag or Coriolis.

Here is short excerpt from the report:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff801d11b1a1): kmem(map=0xffffff80704c50a8, addr=0xffffffac483fe000, size=4194304, flags=0x0): entry:0xffffff8070f8e4b0 atomicity mismatch guard(0x00000000) @vm_kern.c:320

Panicked task 0xffffff8ba1b73670: 262 threads: pid 0: kernel_task

Backtrace (CPU 0), panicked thread: 0xffffff953b238000, Frame : Return Address

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:

com.coriolis-systems.driver.Snapshot(123.0)[D5FF7465-F50B-31F7-9F48-95605BCB7050]@0xffffff7fab306000->0xffffff7fab378fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(2.1)[A3F1B111-78F1-3886-8DE2-ABAE0B6314BE]@0xffffff8013f78000->0xffffff8013f8efff

Does this look familiar to anyone? Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 9:57 AM

You appear to have a third-party kernel extension installed, com.coriolis-systems.driver.Snapshot. Kernel panics are caused predominately by third party kernel extensions and hardware faults.

If the panics happen often enough, you can boot into Safe Mode. If the panics stop, it is probably that extension.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If that extension is causing the panics, check for an update or uninstall it.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2022 9:57 AM in response to wbjackson

You appear to have a third-party kernel extension installed, com.coriolis-systems.driver.Snapshot. Kernel panics are caused predominately by third party kernel extensions and hardware faults.

If the panics happen often enough, you can boot into Safe Mode. If the panics stop, it is probably that extension.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If that extension is causing the panics, check for an update or uninstall it.

Sep 18, 2022 10:13 AM in response to wbjackson

Coriolis is a company that produced software tools for the Mac like iDefrag and iPartition, both of which sounds scary to me and are redundant with what the MacOS already does. Also, Coriolis' software stopped working properly when the APFS system came out. In fact there is a residual web site that explains that they could not make their tools work properly with APFS and hence the company shut down in 2019.

So anything relating to Coriolis software is outdated and likely to not work on anything past 10.12 (or even 10.11).

You might explore their vestigial web site for an UNINSTALLER. Because you need to remove EVERYTHING relating to their software. Without an uninstaller, you will need to use a tool like Find Any File that can search where Spotlight does not search and find every vestige of their (likely) intrusive utilities. Some of the extensions may have to be deleted in Safe Mode because they will be locked to you under a normal boot.

As a lesson learned, installing utilities that perform low level functions relating to disk management is risky at best, as updates to the MacOS often make those tools malfunction. When one is talking about partitioning and defragging, it can even get dangerous. Much better to stay with the native MacOS provided tools.

Back to what to do ... if you cannot resolve this by manually removing all Coriolis software tools, I would make at least two independent backups of all your files (e.g. Time Machine and SuperDuper or CCC), do spot checks to confirm they are working properly (restore some files/folders; hopefully the Coriolis software is not interfering with backups, hence also the motivation to have two independent methods just in case), then follow Apple's instructions to restore your Mac to factory settings (the instructions vary according to which model you have). Then on first startup, the Mac will have only native Apple MacOS and software, it will act like a new computer and ask you if you wish to Migrate from a backup. Say yes, connect a backup, and migrate only user files, nothing else (no settings, no applications, no "other" items). Then, after verifying proper functioning, reinstall all software from original and current installers.

If, after this clean install procedure, the kernel panics continue, you may have a hardware issue. What year/model is your Mac? If it dates from more than 5-7 years back, it might be due to hardware failing.

OS 12.6 upgrade does not allow shutdown.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.