Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

x-axis label references out of sync with data series

I have a spreadsheet to track COVID rates in several counties. One row for each day. I have an x-y line chart with the date on the x-axis and the case rate on the y-axis. Each month, I add more rows and extend the data series by selecting the chart, clicking "edit data references" and dragging the dot in the lower right of each colored column. Initially, the label references (date column) automatically extend along with the data series. Since July 12, this stopped working - the label references are not extending. (image 1) I tried adjusting this manually in format - axis - category - label reference, but the labels are listed as individual cells, one for each of my 900ish rows, instead of a series. Trying to edit that list gets stuck in the swirling pizza of death for a long time. (image 2) Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 12:42 PM

I do not know why it stopped working correctly. You may be able to fix it by going to Label References (as you have done already), Command A to select them all, Delete, then select the range from the table or type the range into the box. It will split it apart into individual cells again, for whatever reason it does that.

You might also want to make sure your two series have the correct ranges (click on each and look at the "value" range in the sidebar). Also make sure there isn't a stray other series somehow (click on a series then click on "Order" in the sidebar and make sure there are only the two).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2022 12:42 PM in response to delfm

I do not know why it stopped working correctly. You may be able to fix it by going to Label References (as you have done already), Command A to select them all, Delete, then select the range from the table or type the range into the box. It will split it apart into individual cells again, for whatever reason it does that.

You might also want to make sure your two series have the correct ranges (click on each and look at the "value" range in the sidebar). Also make sure there isn't a stray other series somehow (click on a series then click on "Order" in the sidebar and make sure there are only the two).

x-axis label references out of sync with data series

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.