Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4k 60hz on external monitor from MacBook Pro 2013 (Intel)

Hi

I bought an external monitor, it should run 4k 60hz, however I only get 30hz. I tried buying the right cables and it still didn't work. An IT guy from the store told me that I will never be able to get it to run in 60hz, because my monitor only supports DisplayPort 1.1, and 1.2.

How does the displayport version affect my connection through HDMI? Do I really have to buy an entirely new monitor? I doubt it, so maybe someone can explain :)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 6:23 AM

I can’t read the IT guys mind - maybe you should go back and ask them - but if you have a 2013 MacBook Pro, it only supports $k @ 30Hz through the HDMI port.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) - Technical Specifications

You haven’t said exactly which MacBook Pro you have - I think there was both an early and late 2013 - or which size (13”/15”) - or how you were connecting - or which monitor you have.

However, I don’t think any of the 2013 MacBook Pros support 4k@60hz (but I could be wrong). I have an Early 2013 15” MBP and it only supports 4k@30Hz, I believe. So it wouldn’t have anything to do with your monitor.

If you can find the tech specs for your exact model you could get more info (I found the above by googling).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2022 6:23 AM in response to LukiTFJ

I can’t read the IT guys mind - maybe you should go back and ask them - but if you have a 2013 MacBook Pro, it only supports $k @ 30Hz through the HDMI port.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) - Technical Specifications

You haven’t said exactly which MacBook Pro you have - I think there was both an early and late 2013 - or which size (13”/15”) - or how you were connecting - or which monitor you have.

However, I don’t think any of the 2013 MacBook Pros support 4k@60hz (but I could be wrong). I have an Early 2013 15” MBP and it only supports 4k@30Hz, I believe. So it wouldn’t have anything to do with your monitor.

If you can find the tech specs for your exact model you could get more info (I found the above by googling).

4k 60hz on external monitor from MacBook Pro 2013 (Intel)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.