Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delay after taking screenshot - how to turn off?

Already did this million of times. I am taking the screenshot to be saved on the desktop. Always when I do it, I want to attach the file to email or wherever else. But the file is not there yet, because there is some strange delay between taking a screenshot and the file appearing in chosen folder. When you take several screenshots and you want to do certain things fast you can't - you need to wait, and the wait is some minutes daily when doing many screenshots.

How to turn this delay off?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 12:33 PM

I can confirm what dialabrain stated with respect to the floating thumbnail.

The file doesn't seem to be written until the floating thumbnail disappears.

So, turn off the Floating Thumbnail in the Options in order to have the file written immediately.

15 replies

Sep 19, 2022 11:48 AM in response to dialabrain

That 5 and 10 seconds is the delay between selecting the area to record and starting the recording or taking the screen shot and is only active when your use the Shift+Command+5 key combination. When set to None it's still 5 seconds after the screenshot is taken and saved to the Desktop. That delay is to give the user time to go to the lower right hand corner so they can edit/annotate the screenshot if desired.

At least that's what I'm experiencing.

Sep 19, 2022 12:13 PM in response to Piotr Kowal

Piotr Kowal wrote:

Same here - so the issue is that after the screenshot is already taken, the file needs additional time to show up in the folder, and I already have the folder open and need to wait, several times a day... I want to cut the wait.

Just to clarify, if you disable "Show Floating Thumbnail" in Options, you should have no delay to speak of.

Sep 19, 2022 12:42 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

I can confirm what dialabrain stated with respect to the floating thumbnail.
The file doesn't seem to be written until the floating thumbnail disappears.
So, turn off the Floating Thumbnail in the Options in order to have the file written immediately.

That's it! Didn't see that option below the times listed. Thanks. Learn something new here every day.

Delay after taking screenshot - how to turn off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.