Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine drive not mounting

I have a 1TB seagate external drive that I've been using for Time Machine backups. Last backup was completed 2 weeks ago. I plugged it in today and the drive is not mounting. I've tried all my USB C ports and two different USB 2 cables, and three different USB dongles. I'm using a 2017 MBP with Monterrey 12.5.1. The drive is recognized by About this Mac/Storage... but is not mounting on the desktop and Time Machine doesn't see it. Anybody dealing with this?

I'm inclined to update to Monterrey 12.6, but would feel more comfortable about doing that if I had a current back up.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 7:55 PM

Don't update without a backup. Can Disk Utility see the drive? If so, is it mounted?

If it is mounted, run Disk Utility first aid. Also consider downloading DriveDX to check the physical health of the drive.

I suggest obtaining another drive to make a fresh backup, especially before updating. The old drive may have failed, how old is it?

Do you have another Mac you can try connecting the drive to?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2022 7:55 PM in response to holubiak

Don't update without a backup. Can Disk Utility see the drive? If so, is it mounted?

If it is mounted, run Disk Utility first aid. Also consider downloading DriveDX to check the physical health of the drive.

I suggest obtaining another drive to make a fresh backup, especially before updating. The old drive may have failed, how old is it?

Do you have another Mac you can try connecting the drive to?

Sep 20, 2022 2:09 AM in response to holubiak

When you connect an external hard drive on Mac, it will show up on Desktop, Finder, and Disk Utility. But sometimes the external drive won’t appear on any of these places. To fix the issue, you can try the below methods:

1. Change MacOS settings under Finder preferences

2. Reset (NVRAM/PRAM/SMC) Mac firmware settings

3. Fix external hard drive connectivity issue

4. Mount or Repair the external hard drive using Disk Utility

Hope it helps!

Time Machine drive not mounting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.