Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup Stuck after preparing

I have typically had no issue backing up to two different backup disks, but I am now running into and issue where it has been stuck for over a day on 1.63GB of 48 GB. It has said about an hour this entire time. This appears to be happening with both backup disks. Both with more than enough space.

I can hear the disk constantly making sounds like something is happening but it is a periodic repetitive sound, for both backup disks.

I have done the following:

• rebooted more than once.
  • Stopped the backup after waiting a long time.
  • Googled this issue, but didn't find anything helpful.

Since it is the same issue with both disks, I am guessing it is an issue on the Mac side, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or insight ?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 8:38 AM

Thanks BDAqua. I ran Disk Utilities First Aid (DUFA) on one of my backup disks and that appears to have addressed the issue. It took overnight for it to run which is why I didn't report back yesterday. I had automatic backups turned on which meant it ran the backup after DUFA finished. The backup was successful and completed after DUFA. I ran the backup again and it only took a few minutes at most. I will run it on the other disk as well and see how it goes.

I will also look into Drive DX as that sounds interesting and I prefer know more about the health of the disk which DU doesn't really provide.

I am surprised this issue hit both disks at the same time.

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2022 8:38 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua. I ran Disk Utilities First Aid (DUFA) on one of my backup disks and that appears to have addressed the issue. It took overnight for it to run which is why I didn't report back yesterday. I had automatic backups turned on which meant it ran the backup after DUFA finished. The backup was successful and completed after DUFA. I ran the backup again and it only took a few minutes at most. I will run it on the other disk as well and see how it goes.

I will also look into Drive DX as that sounds interesting and I prefer know more about the health of the disk which DU doesn't really provide.

I am surprised this issue hit both disks at the same time.

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated!

Sep 21, 2022 8:19 AM in response to BDAqua

This appears to have resolved the issue with the second disk as well, which is great! It took a day for DUFA to run and unfortunately my latop got into a state where it wouldn't let me get out of the screen saver (finger print didn't work and it wouldn't show me the password field); the entire screen was red and I could move the mouse around. I didn't want to reboot since I could hear the disk going while DUFA was running. This morning the disk was quiet so I was able to reboot and things appear to be ok.

The remaining question I have is, will DUFA take about 24 hours to run every time I run on these backup disks, or was that a one time thing because I had not previously run it (or it has been a long while) ?

Sep 21, 2022 4:56 PM in response to BDAqua

The drives I am using have roughly 3.75 and 4.4 TB remaining each. The laptop is a 2 TB drive and most changes do not occur there at this point. I take a lot of photos so I am eating some space but the external drives have been more than adequate.

Both external drives took a long time when running DUFA, so it isn't an isolated incident.

W.r.t. the boot drive (the laptop), how would that affect the DUFA running on the external (non-boot drives) ?

Time Machine Backup Stuck after preparing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.