Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard disk drive

Hi everyone!

I work both from my laptop (windows) and my Ipad so, I was wondering, is it possible to have an external hard disk where I can save files from my PC and see those file when connected to my Ipad?

Thanks a lot :)

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 7:06 AM

Connection of external storage devices is possible - with some caveats...

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+ with a single partition. As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is often required. HDD drives are notoriously power hungry; for HDD, an external power source is definitely required.

If your iPad has a Lightning port, you will need to use an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to connect USB devices to the iPad. This adapter has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connector and an additional Lightning port to supply power, from your Power Adapter, to both the iPad and connected device. The Power Adapter must be rated at 12W or more.

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

If you have one of the newest iPad Pro models, with a USB-C connector, you may need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad and the storage device to ports on the hub.

The external storage device will obviously require an appropriate USB3 cable to connect to the USB port of the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter, or USB hub if used.

Some additional information can be found here:

Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPhone - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-use-external-hard-drives-your-iphone-or-ipad

You should also note that iOS/iPadOS does not support formatting of any external USB storage devices. If your USB storage device requires (re)formatting, you need to use a PC or Mac computer.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2022 7:06 AM in response to robiamato

Connection of external storage devices is possible - with some caveats...

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+ with a single partition. As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is often required. HDD drives are notoriously power hungry; for HDD, an external power source is definitely required.

If your iPad has a Lightning port, you will need to use an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to connect USB devices to the iPad. This adapter has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connector and an additional Lightning port to supply power, from your Power Adapter, to both the iPad and connected device. The Power Adapter must be rated at 12W or more.

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

If you have one of the newest iPad Pro models, with a USB-C connector, you may need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad and the storage device to ports on the hub.

The external storage device will obviously require an appropriate USB3 cable to connect to the USB port of the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter, or USB hub if used.

Some additional information can be found here:

Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPhone - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-use-external-hard-drives-your-iphone-or-ipad

You should also note that iOS/iPadOS does not support formatting of any external USB storage devices. If your USB storage device requires (re)formatting, you need to use a PC or Mac computer.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

External hard disk drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.