Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to AirPlay Fitness+ workouts to Apple TV gen 2 with iOS 16.0

Two weeks ago I finally started using Fitness+. I was able to AirPlay the workouts from my iPhone 13 Pro to my Apple TV gen 2. In my configuration, I am simply using the Apple TV to AirPlay from the iPhone. I've been doing this with my home workouts for a few years now.

Last Friday I updated my software on both my iPhone (to iOS16) and my Apple Watch series 7 (to watchOS 9.0). Yesterday, I had no issues when I used AirPlay to get my normal workouts on my Apple TV, however when I tried to AirPlay any of the Fitness+ workouts, I got an Error message. Strangely enough, I was able to AirPlay the previews of the workouts to my Apple TV, but not the workouts themselves.

I've tried restarting my phone, closing the Fitness+ app, and restarting the Apple TV. This somehow has to be related to the software update since I had no issues before I updated everything. Anyone have any suggestions of what I can do at this point?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 11:30 AM

It worked just fine before I updated the software to iOS16.

Okay, lucky you past year, I guess. It is different from the documentation though, which says AirPlay 2 is required, which the Apple TV (2nd generation) does not support.

About iOS 14 updates (→iOS 14.5 Fitness+) - Apple Support

I can still AirPlay any other chosen video from my iPhone to my Apple TV.

Apple TV+, Disney+, and HBO Max are examples that specifically exclude the 2nd generation for AirPlay support.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2022 11:30 AM in response to mkemm

It worked just fine before I updated the software to iOS16.

Okay, lucky you past year, I guess. It is different from the documentation though, which says AirPlay 2 is required, which the Apple TV (2nd generation) does not support.

About iOS 14 updates (→iOS 14.5 Fitness+) - Apple Support

I can still AirPlay any other chosen video from my iPhone to my Apple TV.

Apple TV+, Disney+, and HBO Max are examples that specifically exclude the 2nd generation for AirPlay support.

Sep 20, 2022 7:51 AM in response to mkemm

Do you mean Apple TV (2nd generation) (A1378, 2010) or Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) (A2169, 2021)?

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

You’re not supposed to be able to AirPlay Apple Fitness+ to Apple TV (2nd generation), if you have that.

You’re supposed to use the Fitness app on Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) directly, if you have that.

Devices you can use with Apple Fitness+ - Apple Support

↳ AirPlay

Sep 20, 2022 10:38 AM in response to Urquhart1244

It's the old Apple TV (2nd generation).

If I'm playing it from the Fitness app on my iPhone and only using the Apple TV to AirPlay so that I can put it on my TV, why wouldn't that work? It worked just fine before I updated the software to iOS16. I can still AirPlay any other chosen video from my iPhone to my Apple TV. Why are the Fitness+ videos distinctly exclude from being able to do this?

I guess if that's the way Apple wants this to work, they're just giving me a **** good reason to save myself $10 each month.

Not able to AirPlay Fitness+ workouts to Apple TV gen 2 with iOS 16.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.