Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can no longer migrate my library from PC to mac

So, I've been using iTunes as my main music library on my PC for over a decade now, and I've been periodically backing it up to an external hard drive, and then copying it to my iMac and opening it up there with all my playlists, play counts etc intact for all that time without a hitch, using iTunes on Mac and the later 'music' iteration of the app.

Doing my backup as normal and when I option-open the music app on the iMac to point it at the .itl library file music just sticks on 'loading' forever and nothing happens. Before, upon reading said file it would immediately open my library fully intact and away I went.

I've tried deleting the library and re-copying it from the hard drive, making changes to the 'master' library on the PC so it overwrites the .it file, then copying it back to the Mac, and nothing, the same thing happens. I have even tried copying it to another iMac at work which is on OS 12.5 and on that machine when I option open the library it just tries to open the music app but with no music (but doesn't stick on loading like it does on my Mac that's on 12.6) I can't seem to find anything online about the music app suddenly not being able to read this critical file, has anyone any ideas? I've never had this problem before.

iTunes on my PC is updated to the latest version and is working perfectly.

iMac

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 5:53 AM

Hi,

I've seen several posts lately where Monterey fails to correctly convert an iTunes Library.itl database correctly. There seem to be two possible workarounds, copy the .itl file to Big Sur or Catalina and convert it there (the media folder is apparently not required) then move the database to Monterey and place it above the media folder, or if you have an iTunes Library.xml file you can import that into an empty Music library with File > Library > Import Playlist... as long as the media files are at the paths listed in the XML file. When porting from Windows to Mac the XML would need editing as the two file systems will map each file to a slightly different path. If I recall a global replace of file://<Drive Letter>:/ to file:///<Volume Name>/ should do it. I recommend Notepad++ for the task if you're doing it on the Windows end. Downside of the XML import method is that all Date Added details get reset.

tt2

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 5:53 AM in response to Smellmet

Hi,

I've seen several posts lately where Monterey fails to correctly convert an iTunes Library.itl database correctly. There seem to be two possible workarounds, copy the .itl file to Big Sur or Catalina and convert it there (the media folder is apparently not required) then move the database to Monterey and place it above the media folder, or if you have an iTunes Library.xml file you can import that into an empty Music library with File > Library > Import Playlist... as long as the media files are at the paths listed in the XML file. When porting from Windows to Mac the XML would need editing as the two file systems will map each file to a slightly different path. If I recall a global replace of file://<Drive Letter>:/ to file:///<Volume Name>/ should do it. I recommend Notepad++ for the task if you're doing it on the Windows end. Downside of the XML import method is that all Date Added details get reset.

tt2

Sep 21, 2022 8:05 AM in response to Smellmet

OK. I've just tried here opening a 66K track iTunes for Windows library with Music on Catalina. I only copied over one album folder to my Mac as a proof of concept, but after putting the .musiclibrary file in the same folder as the original .itl file, and changing the media folder to ..\iTunes Media, the converted library was able to correctly pick up that album.

I've temporarily added my email address to my user profile here in case you'd like me to try to convert your .itl library and return it to you as a .musiclibrary package.

tt2

Oct 9, 2022 12:15 PM in response to turingtest2

Thx tt2 !

Now to be clear on the procedure - Do I put that file back in my iTunes music folder and Option-Open Music, and choose New Library, and select that file? Or- do I just copy that file into Music App - Music folder, and then copy over all the music files? Or... door # 3, do I put the new file back in the iTunes folder and point Music to that library?

I can no longer migrate my library from PC to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.