Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Photos from PC to iPad 8

I have been trying to find an easy way to transfer photos from my PC to my wife's iPad 8. I don't want to use the cloud! I tried using the card reader with a SD card. The only thing I found that works is the card right out of the camera. The iPad will not recognize a card that I have uploaded photos to from my PC. I there is a photo on the camera card that I edited in any way, it will not be recognized. It has been frustrating to say the least. It should not be that hard.

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 4:25 PM

Three methods:

1) Install iCloud for Windows on your PC. This will allow you to easily share and transfer your photos via iCloud.

Download iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

Set up and use iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

2) Install iTunes for Windows on your PC. This provides other transfer and management options.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

You can install and use both iCloud for Windows and iTunes for Windows on the PC. They will happily coexist - and provide considerable flexibility in how you move/share/transfer photos and other documents and data between iPad, iPhone and your PC.

3) Assuming that your iPad is running iOS12 or later, a further option is to consider use of a physical USB storage device - such as a USB Thumb Drive - and use this to transfer files and photos between your computer and iPad. To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32 or exFAT (i.e., FAT64) with a single data partition.

If your iPad Pro has a Lightning port, you will need to use an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to connect USB devices to the iPad. This adapter has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connector and an additional Lightning port to supply power, from your Power Adapter, to both the iPad and connected device. The Power Adapter must be rated at 12W or more.

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A//:0" height="316" width="94

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 4:25 PM in response to chzuck1

Three methods:

1) Install iCloud for Windows on your PC. This will allow you to easily share and transfer your photos via iCloud.

Download iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

Set up and use iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

2) Install iTunes for Windows on your PC. This provides other transfer and management options.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

You can install and use both iCloud for Windows and iTunes for Windows on the PC. They will happily coexist - and provide considerable flexibility in how you move/share/transfer photos and other documents and data between iPad, iPhone and your PC.

3) Assuming that your iPad is running iOS12 or later, a further option is to consider use of a physical USB storage device - such as a USB Thumb Drive - and use this to transfer files and photos between your computer and iPad. To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32 or exFAT (i.e., FAT64) with a single data partition.

If your iPad Pro has a Lightning port, you will need to use an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to connect USB devices to the iPad. This adapter has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connector and an additional Lightning port to supply power, from your Power Adapter, to both the iPad and connected device. The Power Adapter must be rated at 12W or more.

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A//:0" height="316" width="94

Sep 21, 2022 11:12 AM in response to chzuck1

Does the sim card not appear in the Files App when you connect the card reader to it?

Otherwise if using the general Photos import feature, the photos need to be in a folder named DCIM and have a 8 character name with a 3 character extension just like the camera would produce. The importer will not see photos any other way.

The Files app on the other hand should see any files including photos in the card regardless of how they are named.

Sep 21, 2022 7:25 PM in response to chzuck1

Last time I did it it did but it’s been a while so I can’t say that definitely.

I have some older SD cards that it’s worked on but it may not on newer ones.

There are also some flash drives that have companion apps that can allow you to bridge the computer/ipad gap. I have a lexar one but there may be others (been a few years since I needed to buy one)

Transfer Photos from PC to iPad 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.