Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wpa3 connectivity

I just updated my router from wpa2 to wpa3, and now my imac (macos 10.12.6), and now I cannot log in to the wi-fi. The pop-up box says the router needs a "wpa2" password.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 4:23 AM

That macOS Sierra and your older iMac are unable to make WPA3 handshakes with new router hardware. That router hardware should be configured to provide WPA2/WPA3 compatibility rather than just WPA3, and I would be surprised if a router vendor could transform an older WPA2 router to WPA3 functionality with just a firmware update.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2022 4:23 AM in response to atmacsd

That macOS Sierra and your older iMac are unable to make WPA3 handshakes with new router hardware. That router hardware should be configured to provide WPA2/WPA3 compatibility rather than just WPA3, and I would be surprised if a router vendor could transform an older WPA2 router to WPA3 functionality with just a firmware update.

wpa3 connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.