Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad

I have an iPad that is severely slowing down and crashing if I have more than ten apps open which I’m not good at closing apps and with that taking up whatever ram is on here is that what the problem or is it because it’s a pretty old iPad if so should I update to iPadOS 16 later on or will it crash my iPad

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 3:48 AM

4 replies

Sep 22, 2022 3:56 AM in response to Kastaspella

Last point first - iPadOS16 is not due for release until sometime in October.  For reasons known only to Apple, release dates for iOS for iPhone and iPadOS for iPad have been deliberately staggered.

However, iPadOS 15.7 was released 12th September - incorporating essential security updates for iPad.

About the security content of iOS 15.7 and iPadOS 15.7 - Apple Support

When iPadOS16 is released, it will be available for these models of iPad:

• iPad Pro (all models)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (5th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

More information about the forthcoming iPadOS16 can be found here:

iPadOS 16 Preview - Apple

Returning to your issue, iPad is generally very efficient with its memory and resource management - but sometimes does require a little help by manually closing dormant Apps. Older models of iPad are already relatively resource-constrained; while Apps may be technically compatible with older models of iPad when running current versions of iPadOS, performance and stability may be an issue.

Sep 22, 2022 4:08 AM in response to Kastaspella

The performance of your iPad is unlikely to improve - as its resource constraints (CPU, RAM and available local storage) will not change. Each new version of iPadOS includes additional features - and places increasing technical demands upon hardware.

Devices with older hardware will inevitably become less able to provide adequate system performance. As for how your iPad will perform with iPadOS16, we can only speculate; until released, contributors here have absolutely no idea how any iPad model will perform.

Sep 22, 2022 4:01 AM in response to LotusPilot

I know that iPadOS is coming out sometime in October however, and yes I know it says iPad 5th generation and past but my iPad has a few performance problems even running Apple apps such as Apple Music, App Store, etc I also updated to iPadOS 15.7 on Sep. 12th for Security Updates and bug fixes so I need to know if my iPad will completely collapse under everyday use for a little longer if updated to iPadOS 16 until I buy a new one

Sep 22, 2022 4:29 AM in response to Kastaspella

What is the rated, internal data storage space/capacity of your iPad model and how much of this free, internal data storage capacity is left inside of your iPad model?

All of that additional info can be found in the Settings app, General settings panel, About.

Not having enough free, internal data storage space, is usually, the BIG reason for iPad performance issues

iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.