Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive Size?

What's going on, iCloud drive takes 15GB and 50GB is used?

It makes me unable to work. I have 17GB free on the physical disk.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 6:18 AM

13 replies

Oct 9, 2022 4:52 AM in response to Community User

Why, when I'm trying to compress something, have I had something like this for an hour? Regardless of the size?

Currently, the space on the physical disk has run out to 10GB, and yesterday it was I don't know 16GB, it's also puzzling what the **** is with this place. :D

Maybe iCloud is a function that should not be used because it does not completely work?

I have no idea how to control it. I use CCleaner and it shows me large files, etc., and it actually happened that a program generated a huge docker file, but I fixed it, I have no ideas where 50GB is from, what is it. Shouldn't this iCloud storage work so that I decide what to put in there? I don't really know who designed it, but it's the worst system feature I know.

When I was using Windows, I didn't have such cosmic problems. I would not like to go back to Windows, because I am happy with some things. Besides, I already have Macs etc. I would have to invest in new equipment. But I'm on the verge of patience.

Oct 9, 2022 3:02 AM in response to Community User

Does anyone understand how iCloud drive storage works? Why is he showing me 48GB of documents when there are 15GB of them?

How this feature works is some kind of misunderstanding, really annoying, also sync problems, sometimes you get stuck and you can't delete file or move it, it takes a million years, who designed it?

Oct 9, 2022 5:23 AM in response to Community User

Log in at iCloud.com. You'll find all of your documents there. Other Documents is simply any document that you have synced in iCloud.

Again, you have optimize Mac selected. Your largest/oldest files are offloaded from your Mac, should you need space, and kept in iCloud only. Hence the size difference between your computer and iCloud.

Oct 9, 2022 8:50 AM in response to muguy

If it worked as you say it would be a completely nonsensical function. Synchronization was without iCloud storage etc. it seems that it is not necessary, two computers in one network are enough to synchronize, because why not, it's just a matter of software, no cloud is needed for this, etc.

Of course, optimization can work here on the principle that files that are frequently opened and changed are stored on the physical disk, if possible.

I removed something that was brewing 8GB and it freed me over 16GB, it looks to show that it's occupied twice as much as it actually is.

Oct 9, 2022 4:27 AM in response to muguy

How can I check what exactly is in this Other Documents?

iCloud Drive/Documents size 11-15GB.

Desktop size 32MB.

Oct 9, 2022 2:03 AM in response to muguy

Shows you that files from iCloud are 15GB, where from 50GB used??

edit:

Such smart answers are recommended by apple? :D

iCloud Drive Size?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.