Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any difference power off Ipad with power/home and menu>power off?

I'm in charge of the care and feeding of about 2,000 7th generation Ipads. We're seeing some issues with battery drain. Our vendor is chasing this but I wanted to ask on the forum.

The preferred method to power off is using an MDM to initiate a shutdown.

However, in the field, staff are trained to hold POWER and HOME until the screen goes off and before the apple logo appears.

Is there any way the POWER+HOME approach is leaving the pad in a powered on state with the screen off?

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 10:57 AM

See >>> Turn iPad on or off - Apple Support

Selecting Shut Down from iPad settings has precisely the same outcome:

Settings > General > Shut Down

When idle, the iPad will enter switch-off the screen to save power - the timing being controlled by settings:

Settings > Display & Settings > Auto-Lock - set as required

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2022 10:57 AM in response to perfectreign

See >>> Turn iPad on or off - Apple Support

Selecting Shut Down from iPad settings has precisely the same outcome:

Settings > General > Shut Down

When idle, the iPad will enter switch-off the screen to save power - the timing being controlled by settings:

Settings > Display & Settings > Auto-Lock - set as required

Sep 22, 2022 3:34 PM in response to perfectreign

Further to my last, pressing and holding the top Sleep/Wake and Home buttons will trigger a forced-restart of the iPad. If released when the Apple logo appears, the iPad will restart.

If instead you continue to hold the keys after the Apple logo appears, you’ll invoke the iPad recovery mode - requiring a PC or Mac to recover.

Sep 22, 2022 4:19 PM in response to LotusPilot

Hmm, interesting. In the instructions from the vendor, the Ipad (7th generation) is shut down by holding power and home until the screen blanks, the apple logo appears, then disappears. As soon as it disappears, release both buttons and the device will be off.

Also, of course, exit the application - which is in single-app mode - to the home screen, and then hold the power button until the power off slider appears.

I just tested this on a few pads. It works to turn them off. At least it appears to turn off, as there's nothing on the screen, and no response to pushing the home button. Pushing the power button also does nothing, unless following the normal power-on process.

by the way, screenshot is disabled on the devices through the MDM

Is there any difference power off Ipad with power/home and menu>power off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.