Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iOS 16 disable the visual voicemail transcription service and how can it be restarted?

Why does iOS 16 disable the visual voicemail transcription service and how can it be restarted?

I’ve attempted suggestions from various websites and not willing to use a 3rd party software to jailbreak the phone. There has to be a way to restart the voicemail transcription service that Siri indicates has a problem after iOS 16.0 was installed on my 8 plus.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 2:59 PM

9 replies

Sep 22, 2022 4:32 PM in response to ngdaniel1

Not sure if this is just an issue on older iPhone models but visual voicemail transcription still works fine on the iPhone 12 Pro Max and IPhone 14 Pro Max in my household. I assume it is still working fine on then other iPhones in the household. You state that Siri indicates there is a problem…what exactly is Siri telling you. Also, even though I don’t recall the info for either release mentioning this as a bug or something it was addressing have you updated to 16.0.1 or the new 16.0.2 to see if anything changes?

Sep 22, 2022 6:27 PM in response to ngdaniel1

Might be an issue with your device. Just checked all of the other iPhones in my household. No issue. Called and left a voicemail on one of them. Visual voicemail transcription works as designed. Hopefully you see a difference in the new update but if not you may need to contact Apple for further assistance and possible inspection of your device. I assume you are in a region where visual voicemail works since you said it worked on your previous device.

Sep 22, 2022 8:04 PM in response to lobsterghost1

A few websites suggested the same but I called AT&T. I was on the phone with their people for over an hour. It’s the phone app, not the provider.

The visual voicemail worked before the iOS 16.0 update so it should work afterward. I went through resetting the voicemail password and resetting the network. The problem continues.

Now 16.0.2. The problem continues.

Sep 22, 2022 8:12 PM in response to KaeBFly

It worked on this device before the iOS 16.0 update. It doesn’t work after the install. Now 16.0.2 and it still doesn’t work.

it’s not the device. It’s the phone app since the feature is part of the app.

Can’t delete the phone app and download a new copy of the app like an Android so I’m stuck with people at the Apple Store who don’t know and have to ask 20 other people in the back of the store.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.