You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air to TV by HDMI - video not working

When I connect my MacBook Air (M1) to a TV using a HDMI and a USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. The laptop and screen share is fine, until I play a video.

The video will work if I select sound output from the MacBook Air speakers. However, when I change the sound output to my TV, the video, whether that be downloaded (mp4 or Apple TV paid download) or streaming (Disney+ or Netflix), quickly fast forwards to the end of the video. One second of sound is played at the beginning of the fast forward. I start the video from the beginning again and it does the same. Rarely, the video will play, but the sound does not work.

I have tried changing TVs, HDMI's, and adapters. I have download and installed the latest software updates and restarted my laptop several times. Is there something in the settings/software I can fix to stop this from happening or is this a problem with the hardware?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 5:07 PM

1 reply

Sep 25, 2022 6:11 PM in response to coleee

Hello coleee,

This page can help out with providing assistance for using the TV as the display: Use your TV as a display with Mac - Apple Support

Check whether you can play audio from your Mac on your TV

If your Mac has a Mini DisplayPort, it may be able to send audio to your HDTV.
Note: If your Mac has a Thunderbolt or HDMI port, it can send audio to your HDTV.
1. Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.
2. Click Overview, then click the System Report button.
3. In the sidebar, in the Hardware section, select Audio.
A list of your computer’s audio devices appears. If HDMI Output or HDMI/DisplayPort output is listed, your computer’s Mini DisplayPort can send audio.

It may also help to try testing this briefly in a newly created Admin account, which can help to rule out any issues being caused from the existing user-account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Be sure to also check for any macOS updates to ensure the latest improvements are applied to the device: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Cheers.

MacBook Air to TV by HDMI - video not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.