Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Black screen

My iPhone 12 is on the black screen of death. It’s on and working and even the alarm is ringing but the screen is black. I can’t force restart, which I’ve had to do before when I first got the phone, and I don’t know what to do to turn it back on. Is there ANY other way other than the force restart

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 4:38 AM

Try and force restart it via a pc or mac

If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:

1. Connect your iPhone to a computer. On a Mac with macOS Catalina, open the Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. Find out which macOS your Mac is using.
  2. Select your iPhone on your computer.
  3. While your iPhone is connected, follow these steps:
  • On your iPhone 8 or later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation): Press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Then press and hold the side button.
  • On your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the side button and volume down button at the same time.
    • On your iPhone 6s or earlier, including iPhone SE (1st generation): Press and hold both the Home button and the side button or the top button at the same time.
  1. Keep holding the buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
  2. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update.
  3. Your computer will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode. Repeat steps 2-4.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2022 4:38 AM in response to Shazam18

Try and force restart it via a pc or mac

If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:

1. Connect your iPhone to a computer. On a Mac with macOS Catalina, open the Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. Find out which macOS your Mac is using.
  2. Select your iPhone on your computer.
  3. While your iPhone is connected, follow these steps:
  • On your iPhone 8 or later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation): Press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Then press and hold the side button.
  • On your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the side button and volume down button at the same time.
    • On your iPhone 6s or earlier, including iPhone SE (1st generation): Press and hold both the Home button and the side button or the top button at the same time.
  1. Keep holding the buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
  2. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update.
  3. Your computer will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode. Repeat steps 2-4.

iPhone 12 Black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.