Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change finder folder background from dark to light when viewing icons

I often change my viewing preference from columns to icons when viewing images. After doing this, I cannot read the names of the files or folders because of the dark gray background. It drives me crazy. Switching from the Dark to Light mode does not rectify this issue (unless i"m viewing in columns/list). Is there a preference for this?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 8:55 AM

Not sure why you can't read the names, in either Dark or Light Mode. Even for my old eyes, they are perfectly readable at 12 points. You can up that to 16pt if you want, using Command-J (View->Show View Options)

One thing that may help you is to choose a different folder background. You can choose a color or even an image that gives better contrast. Again, Command-J to the rescue:

These settings are per folder, and stick through restarts, etc.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2022 8:55 AM in response to cottoson

Not sure why you can't read the names, in either Dark or Light Mode. Even for my old eyes, they are perfectly readable at 12 points. You can up that to 16pt if you want, using Command-J (View->Show View Options)

One thing that may help you is to choose a different folder background. You can choose a color or even an image that gives better contrast. Again, Command-J to the rescue:

These settings are per folder, and stick through restarts, etc.

Change finder folder background from dark to light when viewing icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.