Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Orange dot (mic indicator) bug on 14 Pro Max?

The orange microphone indicator dot on my new iPhone 14 Pro Max seems to be moving around in a strange way.

This is what it looks like while on the call screen:

When I swipe up to go to the Home Screen or any other app, it moves to the far right:

It is then located on the far edge of the rounded display corner, which does not look right to me. Anyone else noticed this?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 10:19 AM

Yes, but you also have the island to indicate that you are on a call. It's obvious that if you are on a call the mic is being used. So. no need to have the orang dot as prominent then, considering they are displaying other things there too which take up the space the orange dot used.

You can provide feedback to Apple about it at: link-> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2022 10:19 AM in response to Tim Lorenzen

Yes, but you also have the island to indicate that you are on a call. It's obvious that if you are on a call the mic is being used. So. no need to have the orang dot as prominent then, considering they are displaying other things there too which take up the space the orange dot used.

You can provide feedback to Apple about it at: link-> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Sep 23, 2022 10:02 AM in response to Tim Lorenzen

It's by design. The far right is the normal location on all iPhones without the Dynamic Island.

The Dynamic Island as its name implies changes dynamically. when you exit the App, the Dynamic Island changes to show the ongoing call with the audio modulator image instead of the orange dot, so it moves the dot to a place where it can display it now.

Oct 4, 2022 12:55 PM in response to bobbytutons

16.0.2 was released almost 2 weeks ago. Link-> Apple security updates - Apple Support

Also, if on a call its hardly necessary to scan for the orange dot. You already know you're on a call and the microphone is therefore being used. It's really not necessary to keep it in the Dynamic Island, or to scan for it when you already know you are on a call.

Again, if you want it changed, contact Apple directly and offer feedback. Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Sep 23, 2022 10:06 AM in response to Phil0124

Hmm… that design decision does not really make sense to me though. While looking at the call screen, I usually know that my mic is on anyway 😉 Yet the dot is very prominent in the center of the island while on the call screen.

And when switching to another app, the dot becomes way less prominent in the upper right edge - in fact, there’s barely a pixel of space between the dot and the edge of the display.

Oct 4, 2022 12:27 PM in response to Phil0124

Actually, that is not the location on phones with the notch. The mic indicator appears immediately to the right of the notch on the 13 Pro.

Those indicators should show up in the same place every time, otherwise they become essentially useless—the user’s eye should not have to scan around to find it. It needs to be consistent and prominent to alert users who may not have realized their mic was in use.

There is also no reason it can’t always appear in the same spot on the 14 Pro, as that space on the dynamic island between the camera and Face ID sensors is too small to accommodate anything else.

All of this considered, I continue to believe this is one of several iPhone 14 Pro bugs that will be patched in a future update—hopefully 16.0.2 which is due next week.

Oct 4, 2022 1:08 PM in response to Phil0124

Yes my mistake, I guess it's 16.0.3 coming out next week. Hard to keep track of all these bug-proofing updates they're pushing out.

I'm puzzled by this justification of moving the dot to the far-right side of the display. If we're going to assume that the design logic is "you already know what your iPhone is doing," then it seems a bit pointless to have the mic indicator included as a feature at all—don't you think? It doesn't really explain why they'd move it around instead of just leaving it where it always is.

Orange dot (mic indicator) bug on 14 Pro Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.