Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I retrieve message threads that I deleted ?

How do I retrieve message threads deleted?

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 12:32 PM

It depends:

1. If you're currently on iOS 16 or higher, there is now a recently deleted folder for messages, which you can restore from
  2. If you are not on iOS 16 and you have already deleted messages, if you sync with iCloud, when you deleted the messages, they are gone
  3. If you don't sync messages with iCloud, they may be in a recent backup and you'd have to restore your iPhone from the backup they may be in. But if you sync with iCloud, they ARE NOT in a backup, so restoring from a backup would be pointless

To know if you sync with iCloud, go to Settings > Your Name, Apple ID, iCloud, etc > Tap iCloud > If messages are turned on (green), when you deleted the messages, they were deleted and are gone. UNLESS you are on iOS 16 and you deleted the messages only after upgrading to iOS 16.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2022 12:32 PM in response to Shayymarie30

It depends:

1. If you're currently on iOS 16 or higher, there is now a recently deleted folder for messages, which you can restore from
  2. If you are not on iOS 16 and you have already deleted messages, if you sync with iCloud, when you deleted the messages, they are gone
  3. If you don't sync messages with iCloud, they may be in a recent backup and you'd have to restore your iPhone from the backup they may be in. But if you sync with iCloud, they ARE NOT in a backup, so restoring from a backup would be pointless

To know if you sync with iCloud, go to Settings > Your Name, Apple ID, iCloud, etc > Tap iCloud > If messages are turned on (green), when you deleted the messages, they were deleted and are gone. UNLESS you are on iOS 16 and you deleted the messages only after upgrading to iOS 16.

How do I retrieve message threads that I deleted ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.