Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad OS updated to 15.7 but iPadOS 16 is not coming up.

Good evening everyone,

My iPad updated to 15.7, but it isn't populating iPadOS 16. iPad 5th generation and newer can upgrade to this this new OS. What should I do to update my iPad?

Thank you.

Posted on Sep 24, 2022 1:05 AM

4 replies

Sep 24, 2022 2:15 AM in response to iPhoneography

Apple occasionally staggers release of a major version update - such as has just occurred for this version update cycle. By contrast, subsequent “point-updates” - that introduce new features or security updates - are usually released in parallel for both platforms.

While there may also be technical reasons for the split release, major updates are often timed to coincide with release of new devices - iOS16 being released with the new iPhone 14 models. While the Terms of Use that govern participation within the Apple Support Community preclude any speculation, it is possible that iPadOS16 will be released alongside a future refresh of the current range of iPad models.

While iPadOS16 is not expected to be released before October, iPadOS 15.7 was released alongside iOS16 for iPhone on 12th September - this update incorporating essential security updates.

About the security content of iOS 15.7 and iPadOS 15.7 - Apple Support

More information about the forthcoming iPadOS16 - including a hint of its expected release, can be found here:

iPadOS 16 Preview - Apple

iPad OS updated to 15.7 but iPadOS 16 is not coming up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.