Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook fan running constantly

I am still using my macbook pro mid 2015. It was a powerhouse for the longest time but with nearly 6 years of daily use for heavy power tasks as an arch student it now runs a fraction of the speed it once did. I can only have about one task open at the time before the fan turns on full blast. While this is fine in a desk setting and still allows me some basic use (adobe, lr etc) it's not ideal for using it mores discreetly.

I am hoping to upgrade to a new mcbp when the new version comes out in a couple months. Is there a way I can reduce the fan or increase the speeds.

I currently have a windows partition that I no longer use anymore so I considered removing that but I'm not sure its worth the hassle of all that for me to get a new computer in a little bit anyways.

Posted on Sep 24, 2022 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2022 6:01 AM

eadkins2 wrote:

I am still using my macbook pro mid 2015. It was a powerhouse for the longest time but with nearly 6 years of daily use for heavy power tasks as an arch student it now runs a fraction of the speed it once did. I can only have about one task open at the time before the fan turns on full blast. While this is fine in a desk setting and still allows me some basic use (adobe, lr etc) it's not ideal for using it mores discreetly.

I am hoping to upgrade to a new mcbp when the new version comes out in a couple months. Is there a way I can reduce the fan or increase the speeds.

I currently have a windows partition that I no longer use anymore so I considered removing that but I'm not sure its worth the hassle of all that for me to get a new computer in a little bit anyways.

If your Mac runs slowly

If you find your Mac is running slowly, there are a number of potential causes that you can check.

If your Mac runs slowly - Apple Support

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

if no insight or resolve—

You can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.6

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2022 6:01 AM in response to eadkins2

eadkins2 wrote:

If your Mac runs slowly

If you find your Mac is running slowly, there are a number of potential causes that you can check.

If your Mac runs slowly - Apple Support

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

if no insight or resolve—

You can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.