Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an IPhone be hacked/remotely controlled?

Hi,

I downloaded the new iOS update on my phone yesterday while on my works guest wifi (it’s technically unsecured but you do need an employee to approve access) thinking I was on our secured line. Now I’m worried while I was doing that my phones been hacked. My phone was ok the charger this morning (MagSafe wireless) and it restarted on its own. Nothing was updated that I can tell, still shows iOS 16.0.2 like yesterday. Am I being paranoid? I thought you couldn’t hack an iPhone unless it was jailbroken and if someone did access your information while on the wifi once you disconnect it’s stops the access. Do I need to go to the Apple Store and have the phone scanned?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 24, 2022 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2022 8:37 AM

Answer to the title of the post.

By hack, if you mean remotely controlling or monitoring your device, then...

Keep the iPhone updated to the latest iOS always and never Jailbreak. That's it.

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be hacked or infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware if it is updated to the latest iOS/iPadOS unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious software or unauthorized apps directly from the internet and installed them on your device or/and have Jailbroken

It (Hacking) also depends on how careful are you in sharing sensitive and valuable information pertaining to your iPhone such as Passcode, Password, etc with your friends and family members.

Be careful when sharing the device's sensitive and valuable information with friends and family members.

Thumb Rules:

1. Enable  Guided Access before handing over an iPhone to kids
  2. Don't share Apple IDs
  3. Don't Jailbreak
  4. Don't share sensitive information pertaining to your device and payment methods
  5. Beware of Phishing

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2022 8:37 AM in response to zeyb

Answer to the title of the post.

By hack, if you mean remotely controlling or monitoring your device, then...

Keep the iPhone updated to the latest iOS always and never Jailbreak. That's it.

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be hacked or infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware if it is updated to the latest iOS/iPadOS unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious software or unauthorized apps directly from the internet and installed them on your device or/and have Jailbroken

It (Hacking) also depends on how careful are you in sharing sensitive and valuable information pertaining to your iPhone such as Passcode, Password, etc with your friends and family members.

Be careful when sharing the device's sensitive and valuable information with friends and family members.

Thumb Rules:

1. Enable  Guided Access before handing over an iPhone to kids
  2. Don't share Apple IDs
  3. Don't Jailbreak
  4. Don't share sensitive information pertaining to your device and payment methods
  5. Beware of Phishing

Sep 24, 2022 8:35 AM in response to zeyb

zeyb wrote:

Hi,

I downloaded the new iOS update on my phone yesterday while on my works guest wifi (it’s technically unsecured but you do need an employee to approve access) thinking I was on our secured line. Now I’m worried while I was doing that my phones been hacked. My phone was ok the charger this morning (MagSafe wireless) and it restarted on its own. Nothing was updated that I can tell, still shows iOS 16.0.2 like yesterday. Am I being paranoid? I thought you couldn’t hack an iPhone unless it was jailbroken and if someone did access your information while on the wifi once you disconnect it’s stops the access. Do I need to go to the Apple Store and have the phone scanned?

?

I see no issue....

Update your iDevice - The current stable release of iOS including bug fixes, is iOS 16.0.2

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Sep 24, 2022 10:14 AM in response to SravanKrA

Yes, like someone to has access to remote control your device or monitor your my device. I used to get calls at the bank I used to work at where people clicked on links and someone had access into their phone and messed with their bank accounts. I didn’t click on any links or anything though. Just download iOS 16.0.2 l

From my research nothing should have happened since I never jailbreak my devices and only download apps off the App Store. I’m just paranoid about hacking cause of my previous job. Thank you for your help and response. :)

Can an IPhone be hacked/remotely controlled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.