Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just switched to ios16.0.2 from ios15 and my data is running out on stand by. Why???

iPhone 8+ that is at 88% battery performance. Normal peak performance. Everything was working before. I only updated because articles I read claimed there were no issues with upgrading to ios16.

I updated on wifi. I then update the few apps that needed updating on wifi. Once this was finished I turned wifi off and turned on cellular. Before updating to ios16, my data was at something below 70% of 2gb. (I am used to using 2gb of data and know how to function with it and not go over.). I also have low data mode on.

Then in the span of a few seconds, 75% data used… 90% data used… 100% data used and I’m buying another gb. I contact at&t about this. They tell me I’m on an older plan and that I can upgrade to a 4gb plan for less money than I am currently paying and they’ll get rid of the overages. Ok I do that. No I have 4gb. Everything seems fine. I turn cellular back on. My data say 2gb used. Go to bed later.

Just woke up and received 3 more texts from at&t at 9am. 75% data… 100% data… 90% data (yeah out of order like this and I only received the 90% after I turned cellular off and wifi on. I was sleeping and was not touching my phone.

Now I have to contact at&t again and tell them that there is definitely an error. What, though, is the error? This clearly has to do with Apple’s latest update. Maybe I go in person to Apple, but what can they do? Unless there is some setting that was automatically changed back after the update?

I just checked the “wi’fi assist” setting was turned back on… but it only appears to have used a total of 126mb if the system numbers are accurate. Even still I turned it back off just now. I turned off icloud drive on cellular as well.

I also turned off background app refresh. It is now on wifi only. I reset cellular data statistics to see if I can pinpoint the issue.

Anyone else had this problem? Is this a known issue? Is it maybe fixed now with the settings the update changed, being now reversed. Though I am pretty sure I used background app refresh before and even if not, low data mode should prevent this. I am at a loss. Please help with any information available.

Thank you,

Steven

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 8:34 AM

See this Apple articles below:

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

View or change cellular data settings on iPhone

View or change cellular data settings on iPhone - Apple Support (IN)

Set up cellular data service on your Wi-Fi + Cellular model iPad

Set up cellular data service on your Wi-Fi + Cellular model iPad - Apple Support

Before you go to sleep :

(iPhone) Go to -> Settings.

(1) Tap Mobile network -> Mobile data options -> tap Roaming -> scroll down.

-> Data saver mode -> set Off or On, read the info.

-> Restrict IP address tracking -ON -> by hiding your IP address from unknown trackers in Mail and Safari. 

You can turn it Off if you wish.

(2) Scroll to Mobile Data -> check.

Turn off 'everything', and the next morning see what kind of error you get. Then you know which service is using data.

Contact your carrier, request a printout.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2022 8:34 AM in response to arnoldosu1

See this Apple articles below:

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

View or change cellular data settings on iPhone

View or change cellular data settings on iPhone - Apple Support (IN)

Set up cellular data service on your Wi-Fi + Cellular model iPad

Set up cellular data service on your Wi-Fi + Cellular model iPad - Apple Support

Before you go to sleep :

(iPhone) Go to -> Settings.

(1) Tap Mobile network -> Mobile data options -> tap Roaming -> scroll down.

-> Data saver mode -> set Off or On, read the info.

-> Restrict IP address tracking -ON -> by hiding your IP address from unknown trackers in Mail and Safari. 

You can turn it Off if you wish.

(2) Scroll to Mobile Data -> check.

Turn off 'everything', and the next morning see what kind of error you get. Then you know which service is using data.

Contact your carrier, request a printout.

Oct 4, 2022 12:19 PM in response to arnoldosu1

Update: I am not sure what the cause was of my false data usage issue, but it seems to have been resolved. It may have been to do with the “wi-fi assist” option being turned on with the update. It may have been some malfunction with data recording. I do not know.

AT&T (my now former carrier) was not interested in troubleshooting, but issued a credit for the overage fee. Apple was as helpful as they could be, but they weren’t aware of any known issues with the software.

I after resetting my data counter on my phone and changing several settings to lower data usage, I didn’t see anymore spikes in usage. I did a full software restore for good measure as well. I will keep an eye on my data going forward, but hopefully the issue has resolved itself whether it was a software bug or something on my former carrier’s end. iOS seems to be running quite smoothly now. A few random bugs, but nothing turning it off and on again can’t solve!

Thanks,

Chris

Sep 25, 2022 9:49 AM in response to Raicya

Hey Raicya,

Thanks for your response and help. I had data saver mode on the whole time. I had ip address tracking restrictions on as well. I went through settings and made sure everything that should be off is off and on is on. The only things that were turned on that were off after the update to ios16, were the cellular wifi assist (which shouldn’t have mattered as I turned cellular off for the updates and when I connected to wifi). No analytics are sent to apple (i saw something about this being a potential issue).

My only thoughts are that the new software is somehow bypassing my settings and loading things in the background or that it is counting wifi data as cellular after i switch over. I currently dont have home wifi. I use my apt complex’s pw protected wifi and cellular as needed. So when I disconnect from wifi and leave the business center I am on cellular. This is why I don’t just stay on wifi. Again I have had no issues with this until I switched to ios16 yesterday.

Oddly enough looking at the email notifications for the overages, they came in at 10:09pm, 10:18pm, and 10:24pm last night. I was not using or even touching my phone at this time. The text updates came in at 9am, 9am, and 9:02am. Nothing appears to be in progress. Mail, messages, etc. are all up to date. No messages being downloaded. Nothing to go on other than the source of the issue being ios 16.0.2.

Sep 25, 2022 11:18 AM in response to Raicya

Thank you. Contacted AT&T… they sent me to sales. They gave me a credit for the overage charges, but it was like talking to a wall about troubleshooting my actual issue. I should have asked for a print out of usage. However I already saw a log after the first time and it wasn’t helpful at all.

I will contact Apple now. Thanks for your replies.

I just switched to ios16.0.2 from ios15 and my data is running out on stand by. Why???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.