Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted files from desktop reappear

I delete files from mu desktop and the reappear. I use - MacOs Monterey . Even if I move the files to another folder they still reappear on desktop (but copies remain in the other folder). Please help

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 2:28 AM

Please these responses are so weak - I have been a Mc users for decades - my software is ALWAYS up to date. Don't bother I figured it out myself - I tried all kinds of things with iCloud Drive, as I realise it is a internet based syncing issue form a cloud server - by deleting the desktop items there - but it kept syncing back on my desktop. I resolved the issue this morning when I realised that the Google Drive I installed last week is doing the synching back of the desktop - I change that in the Google Drive preferences and thank goodness it now delete all desktop items and it stays deleted.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 2:28 AM in response to Todd0213

Please these responses are so weak - I have been a Mc users for decades - my software is ALWAYS up to date. Don't bother I figured it out myself - I tried all kinds of things with iCloud Drive, as I realise it is a internet based syncing issue form a cloud server - by deleting the desktop items there - but it kept syncing back on my desktop. I resolved the issue this morning when I realised that the Google Drive I installed last week is doing the synching back of the desktop - I change that in the Google Drive preferences and thank goodness it now delete all desktop items and it stays deleted.

Sep 27, 2022 2:36 PM in response to SFMarais

Hello SFMarais,

Ensuring files remain deleted as expected is important and you've come to a great place for help. To confirm, are you moving the files to the Trash? If so, are you emptying the Trash after you've moved the files? If not, empty the trash to see if the issue remains. We just want to make sure all the steps are being taken to delete the documents.

If the issue remains, restart your Mac using the steps listed below. While restarting is a simple step, restarting can be helpful in resolving many issues. You can also find these steps outlined in the following article.

1. Click the Apple logo towards the top-left.
  2. Click Restart in the menu that appears.
  3. Log back in and test to see if the issue persists.

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Let us know how that goes!

Sep 28, 2022 6:06 AM in response to SFMarais

Thank you for providing those additional details, SFMarais.

Even when iCloud Drive is enabled and syncing your Documents and Desktop folders, content shouldn't return once deleted. You mentioned macOS Monterey is currently installed, have you updated to macOS 12.6? If not, updating is a great next step that can help with resolving this issue. If you need to reference the steps for updating macOS they are listed below, and can be found in the following article.

1. "Before continuing, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.
  2. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
  3. Click Software Update in the System Preferences window. Can't find Software Update?
  4. Software Update now checks for new software.
    • If Software Update finds new software, click Update Now or Upgrade Now to install. You might be asked to restart or enter an administrator password.
    • If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model."

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Have a great day!

Sep 27, 2022 10:54 PM in response to Todd0213

I move the files from Desktop to Trash and the empty bin, Even click on bin and then click "Delete Permanently" - within seconds all items reappear on the Desktop. I have rebooted the Mac, I have even started it in Safe Mode - deleted all items from desktop and restarted and still it reappears on Desktop.

I can even move all items from the desktop to another folder on my computer or even DROPBOX, and again it reappears on my desktop - leaving copies of these files in the folder I have moved it to- it is completely bizarre and started happening about 5 days ago - PLEASE ADVISE? If I disconnect the internet and delete they are gone - as soon as I reconnect the internet they reappear again - I thus suspect it has to do with iCloud synchronising it continuously back to my Desktop?

Deleted files from desktop reappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.