Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine for 2 macbooks in 1 single external drive

Hi, I had my old mac and I recently got a new one. I was wondering.....I keep my time machine backups of my old mac on an external 500GB hard drive...can I use the same external hard drive to keep the backups of the new mac?.

If yes, Is the time machine smart enough to know which one belongs to which laptop?.

Are there any other cons of doing this?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 12:44 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 26, 2022 10:51 AM in response to edudev81

I have some additional information which may be helpful. Speaking generally, using one external disk for two Time Machine backups would create a logistical nightmare. In that case I would either use two separate external disks or I would buy one which is large enough and then partition the disk into two partitions with different names. Then each Time Machine would backup its data to one of the partitions which would have been so designated. These days external disks are reasonably priced, so why not just buy two disks and make them dedicated to each Mac?

Sep 26, 2022 6:12 PM in response to edudev81

What kind of Mac is the old one. Is the new Mac a laptop?

The new backup scheme using APFS will not allow you to put two backups on the same drive unless you create an APFS volume for each (using Terminal) or partition the drive. There is no way the two backups could be commingled in any way.

If you keep the old Mac connected to the network, you can host one drive for the other to backup to over the WiFi. That way you don't have to hot-plug drives. If both are desktop Macs, it probably doesn't matter.

It is best to have more than one backup, so if you had independent drives for each, and a single drive that shared the other backups, I wouldn't be concerned with the "all the eggs in one basket" theory.

Sep 26, 2022 2:28 AM in response to edudev81

Would strongly suggest putting the Existing TM Backup Drive aside and in a Safe and Secure Place - like Safety Deposit Box of your Bank.

It can be used again at a later time to Restore individual important Personal Data.

Purchase a New Blank External Drive ( cheap these days ) and start a New TM Backup regimen on the New Computer.

The exiting TM Backup Drive for the Old Machine, if used on the New Computer, may be reformatted to the Newer Drive format ( APFS ) and the Olde Backups may be lost or not accessible for future restoring purposes

time machine for 2 macbooks in 1 single external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.