You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resize photo in iMovie?

This seems like such a simple thing to do, but I just can't figure it out!

I imported a photo on the timeline and it takes up the entire frame (top to bottom). I want to make it smaller, but the only tools I see are Fit, Crop to Fit and Ken Burns, none of which will do it.

I'm looking for the typical handles on the corners so I can just drag to resize... where are they?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 2:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 5:28 PM

You use the Picture in Picture overlay feature to resize a picture or video clip. To do it, put a black background in the timeline (or any other color you want) and then overlay your still image by placing it in the upper timeline above the background. Then select the still image and click on the overlay icon (the one that looks like overlapping squares) in the tool bar at the top right of your project view screen. A selection box will appear just below and to the left of the overlay icon. Click on the little v symbol in the selection box to get a dropdown menu. From the menu, click on Picture in Picture. That will cause your overlaying photo to appear in small size in the preview screen. You can drag the corners of the picture to change the size, and use your cursor to position the picture. When finished, click on the blue reset button in the upper right of your screen to apply your changes.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2022 5:28 PM in response to atthecshore

You use the Picture in Picture overlay feature to resize a picture or video clip. To do it, put a black background in the timeline (or any other color you want) and then overlay your still image by placing it in the upper timeline above the background. Then select the still image and click on the overlay icon (the one that looks like overlapping squares) in the tool bar at the top right of your project view screen. A selection box will appear just below and to the left of the overlay icon. Click on the little v symbol in the selection box to get a dropdown menu. From the menu, click on Picture in Picture. That will cause your overlaying photo to appear in small size in the preview screen. You can drag the corners of the picture to change the size, and use your cursor to position the picture. When finished, click on the blue reset button in the upper right of your screen to apply your changes.

-- Rich

Sep 27, 2022 8:46 AM in response to atthecshore

No, your screen shot does not show the overlay icon. The overlay icon will not appear until you have placed your overlaying photo above the background, and have selected it. Then you will see this:

Click on the icon and choose Picture in Picture from the selection box. Set the Dissolve at zero. In the screen shot below I have used a red background for illustration purposes.

-- Rich

Resize photo in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.