Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost ipad

So how soon should I erase my info on my IPad after it is lost?

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 5:15 PM

Start here:

Locate a device in Find My on iPad - Apple Support

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours, the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to recover the iPad have been lost.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2022 5:15 PM in response to zanetta176

Start here:

Locate a device in Find My on iPad - Apple Support

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours, the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to recover the iPad have been lost.

Sep 26, 2022 5:29 PM in response to LotusPilot

@LotusPilot TY. I tried the find my Ipad. It says it's offline. It's been in that status for 3 days now. I did mark it as lost and entered my contact information for anyone who finds it. My coverage was not for lost or stolen, only repairs. I don't think I will be able to get it back. So should I go ahead and erase my information? It should have all been saved to the cloud.

Sep 27, 2022 8:03 AM in response to zanetta176

Any data locally stored on your iPad is secure. Until or unless your iPad has a network connection - over which it can transmit its location and receive remote management or erasure commands - attempting to remotely erase the device will not be successful.

Until you are absolutely certain that your iPad is unrecoverable, you should not delete the iPad from your list of devices.

Lost ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.