You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 14'' flickering external monitor

Hi,

I've just got a shiny new MacBook Pro 14'' but I'm a bit disappointed because there is a noticeable flickering on my external monitor (HP EliteDisplay E243m).

The monitor worked fine with my old MacBook Pro 13''.

I tried:

• changing the HDMI cable
  • connecting through a DisplayPort adapter
  • connecting through a docking station via VGA, DisplayPort or HDMI
  • changing color profile in the System Preferences (this only mitigates the problem)

Nothing works.

The funny thing is that if I connect the computer to a very old Samsung Monitor (which only gets to 1650x1080 resolution) through a HDMI to DVI connector there's no flickering.

I Googled around and I saw that it's a fairly common problem but none of the solutions I found are working for me, so my question is: I can buy a new monitor but my budget is limited (i.e. no Apple Displays), can anyone recommend a monitor that will NOT flicker with my computer? I'd hate to buy a new one only to find out that it has the same problem...

Thanks

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 4:06 AM

1 reply

Sep 29, 2022 5:40 AM in response to tam_oreste

Hello tam_oreste,

Specifications for external displays for your MacBook Pro can be found here: Use an external display with your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

"You can connect up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz (Apple M1 Pro) or up to three external displays with up to 6K resolution and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz (Apple M1 Max)."

"Review the display’s documentation or check with the display’s manufacturer to make sure you choose the right product."

There is additional information there about troubleshooting external monitors you may also want to take a look at.

Have a good day.

MacBook Pro 14'' flickering external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.