Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete iPhoto app?

I noticed I have the iPhoto.app in my Application folder taking about 1.3 gigs of HD space. Last time it was modified was 2015. Does the Photos app have any connection to it? Or can Ii just delete it?

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 7:09 AM

If you have no longer any Mac compatible with iPhoto, delete the app - Photos does not need it. Otherwise save it on an external volume, just in case you need to open old iPhoto Libraries, to compare the metadata of your photos in Photos and iPhoto. You may mot be able to get iPhoto back, if you delete it. If your Mac is not able to run iPhoto any longer, the app icon will be crossed out, like below.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2022 7:09 AM in response to AndreCampeau

If you have no longer any Mac compatible with iPhoto, delete the app - Photos does not need it. Otherwise save it on an external volume, just in case you need to open old iPhoto Libraries, to compare the metadata of your photos in Photos and iPhoto. You may mot be able to get iPhoto back, if you delete it. If your Mac is not able to run iPhoto any longer, the app icon will be crossed out, like below.

Sep 27, 2022 11:40 AM in response to Zorba_le_grec

Even if the conversion has been without problems, the result will not have been perfect. You may want to look up missing metadata after the migration to Photos and recreate smart albums and projects and adjustments and named faces.

Photos can only migrate the metadata that can directly be recreated in Photos. Most smart albums will be missing, because the rules could not be recreated. Some dates and times may be wrong, you may need to recreate the adjustments, because you cannot edit the adjusted photos further without having to discard the adjustments. There may be many reasons to look at the original iPhoto Libraries again, while you still can.

Can I delete iPhoto app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.